Open Forum

View Only

Tech theatre class

• 1.  Tech theatre class

Posted 09-06-2013 09:52
    Okay, so help!  This year, we had to create a Drama I/Tech class, filled with 30 students with no theatre background whatsoever!  Plus, the class takes place in tandem with our technical theatre class that already had 30 people in it.  So, yes, we have 60 kids in one tech class.  Actually, the kids are well behaved, but trying to do major hands on projects are almost impossible. 

So...can anyone suggest a curriculum, or project ideas that would work with the masses?  Any ideas, crazy or otherwise, are welcome!

My thanks!
    Carolyn

-------------------------------------------
    Carolyn Greer

• 2.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-06-2013 15:08
    Carolyn, this is my first somewhat knee jerk reaction idea. More to follow.
    Not knowing what resources you have to hand I wonder if it is a good opportunity to do some splitting into groups and design, model, and prototype some things?

Here's what I'm thinking. Split it down into maybe ten groups. Spreading out those with and without experience.
    Each group picks a show (it should be from a list of ten or more so there are no repeats). Since reading that many scripts seems unlikely, having the synopsis and scene/setting breakdown would work. Once you get that done, each group designs the set for their show. Design by committee! Insert the further caveat that they have to do design it with a major automated piece of scenery. Like a moving staircase, or trap/elevator, or nested turntables. That's part one. For part two you swap. Don't let them know that ahead of time. Part two is building the model of the design. Foam core, heavy construction paper, whatever. The important bit is that the large automated piece is done in such a way that it actually works and the set is painted. Then part three. Another swap. The teams light and take pictures of the models that are presented as a slide show with each group that handled a show getting up and explaining their thought process, technique, color selection, lighting angle for the photo, etc.
    Like I said, that's the skimmed off the top. As I have more time to think about it, I may come up with some other things. But in any case. That's a big amount of students and thanks for taking it on.

Trevor Long

• 3.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-08-2013 00:27
    At my school the theater tech class builds the set for whatever show we are working on. Right now we are currently rehearsing "Get Smart" and the theater tech class has a substantial job in constructing the set, they meet everyday whereas the set construction crew meets every Tuesdays and Thursdays. So if you can correlate the class with the show you are working on I highly suggest it. From a student viewpoint, it is rewarding to see my ideas and hard work come to life when the curtain opens.

Hope this helps!

Alexander Minton

• 4.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-09-2013 00:19
    At my school, we run our almost the same way as Alex's school does! Except, our tech crew only does one or two workdays, the rest is entirely built by the stagecraft classes. We have students that have been in the class before lead different projects, help design, and sometimes help teach. Then we have our level one students in groups with the advanced ones. Students also have the option to work in the costume rooms. Then closer to tech week, the advanced students also have the option to work on lights and sounds and train new students as well. 

This seems to work really well for us. Once you get everyone going on projects, it gives you the opportunity to walk around, help, and advise individual students. It also gives your older students the chance to hold leadership positions and learn more from not only doing, but teaching and answering questions. Half of the stuff I have learned in stagecraft is stuff that I have either taught over and over again or I have had to ask because I didn't know how to answer a question I was asked. 

Hope this helps! 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

• 5.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-09-2013 11:28
    We often hear that a school will have a tech. and a construction crew as Alex mentioned.

We've had a lot of people say they've used the EdTA resource catalog items from the technical theatre section with great success. The things that come to mind are the book "The Perfect Stage Crew", Small Stage sets on Tour", "Scenic Design and Lighting Techniques: A Basic Guide for Theatre", and of course the DVDs from Practical Technical Theatre. 

Maybe you can pair students up so the new students have a mentor? 
    David LaFleche
    Director Of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association

• 6.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-10-2013 08:43
    Thanks, everyone for your wonderful responses. This is a great place for help!!!!

Carolyn Greer

• 7.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-10-2013 13:58
    I had this long drawn out thing about doing a Tech Olympics type thing with the group. More experienced kids in with the newbs, but I see you already have something like that in your back pocket. I'll add an old activities list from the USITT nationals to the library.

Trevor Long

• 8.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-13-2013 12:22
    It's taken me a while, but I too have huge tech classes...  Its really hard when some know what they are doing and some just don't care at all.  This year I got lucky and was able to pull some of the "caring" kids out into a more advanced level class mixed with my Tech II/III kids.

But that doesn't solve your problem.

I like using the Bob Fowler series for basic information and lecture... but the kids hate sitting that long so I break it up.  Last year I set up stations around the theatre and broke the students into groups.  If you can find a few good leaders among them you can have an extra "work call" to bring them in and teach them how to use the tools.  They can be your leaders in each station.  If you set it up in a circle you will be able to see everyone and monitor what's going on.

I would also suggest that you can give each "group" a special project to do and rotate through groups.  So one group is building a prop, one is altering costumes, one is creating a prompt book, one a basic lighting or set design etc...  If each group rotates to each project it could take you the whole year! or at least a semester...

Have a "tech olympics" and do training for it...  someone else said that...  I think that's a great idea.  I'm going to do that with my 48 newbies this year.

I will look through some of my resources and send you some stuff as well.

Sharon Chadwick

• 9.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-19-2013 00:35

At my school we do the Bob video's to have the techs ones learn how to do a lot of the basics and how to be safe in the shop. Then after they pass all the test and have a basic understanding of what they what to do we train them in that field. 

D'Andre Carter
    Region 1 Rep

• 10.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-25-2013 09:08
    Trevor has the right idea, but I'd like to add to that by saying have them break into groups and not just design the set and maybe lighting for a show, but the publicity elements like a poster, logo, shirt,... Learning about the rules around this area is invaluable and you will tap into skills that some of the kids didn't know they would be able to use in your class. Also if you give them a whole script have them carve out a prop list and consider solutions to finding and/or making the props. And finally of course have them do a handful of costume, hair and makeup, renderings for the show. What's nice about having them hit each of these elements by exploring the show in teams, they will get a better idea of what all goes into the prep on a show technically and find areas they personally are interested in exploring further. This works well when you can't have all 60 kids working hands on on your current show every day as some have suggested, and gives them some similar experiences to begin finding where they fit individually in tech. My tech students also enjoy knot tying assignments, and I make them into competitions for who can tie knots fastest or can figure out the right knot for the right suggested circumstance. In addition my personal favorite project is a puppet making assignment. The kids choose a character from a show that would lend itself well to being a puppet or is scripted to be one and then design and make the puppet. We study the art of puppet making from the perspective of many different cultures, and as it stands in contemporary theatre. I have huge classes with over 40 kids to this assignment successfully and I have them bring in their own supplies. Some go all out and purchase feathers, foam, fabric, and more, while others use all recycled materials like cardboard, old clothes, and whatever they can find. I require that the puppets have multiple moving elements (eyes, hands, arms, head,... They get creative) and they then present their puppets to the class by demonstrating how they move as well as how they would meet the needs of the show. I can't tell you enough about the insane lesson's learned here (you can imagine) but the kids who go all out absolutely end up being strong in set and prop construction, and everyone gets going on script analysis. Just a few suggestions from me. ------------------------------------------- Kathleen McNulty teacher/director Arnold High School -------------------------------------------

• 11.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-28-2013 10:06
    Hi, 
       I first read this and wasn't even sure how I would react to being told I am going to have to teach 60 students in 1 class that is actually two different classes.  I think after I got over my shock, I started to see some possibilities.  I started to think about what all first year "theatre" students needed.  What type of things can they do together?  Over the last few years I have been thinking that I want students to be more well rounded theatre artist.  This could be a great opportunity to allow for more collaboration between the students.  I am seeing a room with 8-10 groups were each group is developing a performance (could be scripted or devised).  Within that group there could several students acting as the design team for that performance.  Other students could be actors.  Perhaps there is even a director.

Now I am not saying that there should not be specific training for each group.  At some point you need to address skills that are particular to the student's area of focus.  The DVDs that have been suggested are great, as well as the articles.  You might even do some youtube searches for clips that help teach skills.  I know ETC has some wonderful things about their lighting equipment on their youtube channel.  

The specific skills of a designer or actor are important and can't be overlooked.  However at it's core theatre is about creating, performing, and responding.  It does not matter if you are a designer, actors, director, etc.     

Good luck with this year. I hope you keep us updated on how things go!

Steven Fleming
    Lead Technical Theatre Teacher
    Howard County Public School System

• 12.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-28-2013 11:23
    I have to tell you that the video series one of our vendors have here is perfect for what you are talking about. I used it last year in my first year and it was a wonderful tool. Bob and Marti Fowler .... Practical Theater Education series ------------------------------------------- Sara Lee -------------------------------------------

• 13.  RE:Tech theatre class

Posted 09-28-2013 11:53
    Give them the IE rules and have them pick a "major" for the quarter, semester, unit or whatever you choose. ------------------------------------------- Irene Imboden Teacher/ Drama Director Troy City Schools -------------------------------------------