Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Bleacher Bums

Posted 07-22-2014 07:29
    Has anyone ever produced or seen "Bleacher Bums," a show about the Chicago Cubs? I'm wondering if it's expandable - I'll have lots of girls audition for my fall show. I'm kicking around the idea of doing this one. http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/2301/bleacher-bums Thanks. ------------------------------------------- Jared Grigsby English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director MSD of Boone Township Hebron IN -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Bleacher Bums

Posted 07-23-2014 17:34
    I have considered doing it for years, still might, got great Steve Goodman (and others) Cubs music. There is a film version I saw someplace. Check Amazon. Good luck. Could you make it a "girls club" rather than a "boys club" watching the game. Reverse sex of the one girl. ------------------------------------------- Phillip Rayher Director, Theatre Dept. Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts San Francisco CA -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Bleacher Bums

Posted 07-25-2014 14:22
    My husband did this play in Los Angeles when it first came out. The audiences loved it. A real crowd pleaser. The story is about the Chicago cubs fans. They kept rooting for the cubs year after year even though they kept loosing. They watch the game as written they are all men. You need an announcer over the loud speaker and a security guard either could be girls easily. You might have to change a few gender references, but it could be fun to have girls do it. You can have other fans in the stands. Because it is set at a Chicago Cubs ball game. The real focus of course is the relationship of the fans. He thinks it would be fun to see with boys and girls bring it into the 21st century and have a ball with it. ------------------------------------------- Kelly Thomas Mesquite TX -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Bleacher Bums

Posted 07-31-2014 16:15
    Thank you, Kelly. This is refreshing. 

It might be a stretch, but I think it might work out ...

I know the guys will like it, and if I can get girls to make some characters that really pop, that would be great. 

Okay ... I'm leaning that way. :-D

-------------------------------------------
    Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Valparaiso IN

• 5.  RE: Bleacher Bums

Posted 08-01-2014 10:40

The play is really dated with its references to particular teams and players, so you'd have to get permission to make changes to make it more contemporary.  Also, I'm not sure where Hebron, IN is, but there is a restriction on the play that it can't be performed within 150 miles of Chicago.  I know because I tried to get the rights a number of years ago, but we are a Chicago suburb.
    Faye Ryan
    Fine Arts Chair/Theatre Director
    Chicago IL