Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 07-16-2014 15:18
    I am going into my forth year of teaching Stagecraft/Theatre Design and Production. The class serves as a way for us to build and design our sets and costumes. I am wanting to revise the class and wanted to see if anyone would share how they breakdown the class?

-------------------------------------------
    Nadine Love

• 2.  RE: Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 07-17-2014 09:27
    Nadine,
    Do you mean the units that I teach? If so...here you go.

SEMESTER I
    Measuring and Drawing (I do this first while the counselors finish moving people into and out of classes.) I have the student in pairs measure and draw the theatre facility. This shows me how they work with others, their respect for the space, ability for impulse control, and how well they can move from the 3D to 2D world. They learn collaboration, terms of the theatre, how to measure properly, the facility itself, and how to move from the 3D to 2D world.
    Safety-it is the most important, but I need everyone there to teach it.
    Hand tools
    Power tools
    Construction
    Somewhere between Construction and Painting we do the technical elements of the play we will work on this semester.
    Painting
    Props
    Stage Management, Front of House, Business Management, and Marketing/Audience Development (I do this with a project that requires a group of four to read a short one act. They each take one of these roles learn about it and work as a group to make all their ideas come together for that one play collaboratively) I usually did this as the end of the semester project.
    SEMESTER II
    Electricity
    Lighting-basics, hang, circuit, patch, focus, gel, special effects
    Lighting design
    Light Board Operation
    Sound-basic, various mics (hanging, body, floor, handheld), speakers, amplifiers, cable, etc.
    Somewhere in the middle of sound they would work on crews for the play that semester
    Sound Recording
    Sound Design
    Sound Board Operation
    Sewing (this was mostly hand sewing-buttons and simple stitches, but I did some work on machine as well)
    Costume Construction
    Costume Design
    Makeup Deisgn
    Makeup Execution
    Ending final was be the tech crew including SM, marketing, lighting, sound, props, etc. for the Drama I's class final of Short Shakespeare plays (usually two one hour long Shakespeare plays). They did one rehearsal after school and one evening performance. I always had an alternative if a student couldn't do this, but it was actually a favorite with the class and they loved supporting the Drama I students.

Students were also required to:
    View/write about two plays and to read/write about two plays each semester
    Put 15 outside of class lab hours into any production each semester (there were a lot of choices on time and type of work students could do)

I hope that is helpful. Good luck, Leslie
    Leslie Van Leishout
    Theater Education Coordinator
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
    Edwardsville IL

• 3.  RE: Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 07-18-2014 00:16
    Hey Nadine,
    I taught technical theater the last four years, and work professionally for about six years before that. I found that the most effective curriculum that I developed involved the following units:
    Tech One
    - Parts of the theater and safety.
    - Tools, Fasteners and Lumber
    - Cut lists and planning - drawing in scale - mini flat construction then full sized flat construction
    - Painting (two techniques - depending on what show we will be doing the following semester)
    - Lighting instruments
    - Lighting theory (including color theory and photometrics)
    - Light design prroject
    - Sound systems 101 and sound system setup relay.
    - Costumes or stage managing depending on interest and amount of time available.
    - Play critique in there somewhere

Tech II
    - Design unit (students choose a design and then learn whichever type they choose - allowing them the freedom not to pursue those that don't appeal to them)
    - Resume and cover letters
    - Theater enhancement project (a project that they do to make the theater better)
    - 60 in class show hours (per semester)
    - 10 out of class production hours. (per semester)
    - 2 Play critiques
    - Compiled portfolio tracking their proficiency within the class and their development within tech theater.

Tech III
    - 1 design of their choice.
    - minimum of 80 production hours each semester
    - 2 play critiques
    - Compiled portfolio tracking their proficiency within the class and their development within tech theater.
    - Students then have to complete an additional 50 "points". These can be completed through more production hours, designs, play critiques, research projects, local internships, shop projects, crew head positions, etc.
    - Cover letter and resume

It's worker really nicely to both give students the skills needed as well as create an authentic final proficiency assessment (the portfolio). You can tell as you do the portfolio checks whose actually utilizing those in class production hours wisely and whose trying to hide in the curtains.

James Dykstra
    CO

• 4.  RE: Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 07-19-2014 09:03
    James,

Are your classes taught on a semester or year schedule...and do you use any textbook.... or reference materials.  

I'm  excited to be starting a Tech 1 class at my school this year...but of course I am trying to figure it out this summer.....My main concerns are how much time to spend on each unit and to balance talking about the information with practical activities they they can do to learn the concepts and make the course interesting.  I'm also trying to decide whether I really need a textbook or not.... It would be nice not to have to make up every worksheet or reading... but to have a go to book I can rely on.....

I was considering adding some design element to the class and some script analysis, but it looks like maybe I should save that for a Tech 2 class or in the last quarter.  My main area of expertise is Set Design and Properties Construction and Management... so I will definitely work in practical experiences with that as well...

I also noticed that many others require lab hours.. I would like to do this, but I'm worried about the kick back from the school and students... I work in an urban school.. and many of the students just have so many excuses....anyone have experience with requiring lab hours in an urban setting... I might have to provide an alternative if they can't or refuse the hours...

Any advise or comments wouldl be apprciated.  In addition, is there anybody willing to share their syllabus...?? Anything I can use as a jumping off point would be great!

Thanks,

Rachel Ferrari-Engel
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 5.  RE: Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 07-19-2014 11:24
    Hi James, Do you have a sample portfolio you can share? Rubrics? Checklist? How do you assess your students? ------------------------------------------- Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher Phoenix High School -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 07-27-2014 11:34
    Hi everyone, I am REALLY interested in getting some help with my Theater Design class as well. I've been teaching for 19 years and my background is a Masters in Acting and Directing. I have been breaking down my Design class in a way that touches on all of the backstage elements....set design, make up, costuming, stage managing and dramaturgy. The course has no prerequisite and is becoming overloaded. I really need some materials to replace or rework the 'dramaturgy" unit. I used to have students help paint set dressings for the fall show in this unit while researching info about the play we are doing. It needs more structure and I also had to move out of an art room, so I doing painting is messy and not possible. I am hoping someone will share some structured ideas for set design lessons to me. I would gladly share some of my lessons in return. Thanks so much---keeping my fingers crossed for some ideas out there! ------------------------------------------- Lorie Baldwin Richboro PA -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 09-13-2016 10:47

I'm resurrecting a thread from the dead. There are some great curriculum outlines in this thread, but I know I, and many others, could REALLY benefit from shared resources: Checklists, Assessments, Rubrics, etc... Those day to day practical documents that help us track student progress.  In particular, I'm looking to develop (create, modify or outright appropriate!) a skills checklist. Something a tech student would get at the beginning of a course and keep all year (or across years) that would encompass discreet skill sets for each tech area,

ex: 

Lights

• Break Down and Clean an S4
    • Relamp
    • Record a submaster

Construction

• Cordless drill
    • jigsaw
    • parts of a broadway flat

I'll get things going by posting a doc I modified from another resource here on Ed TA - Crew Chief Reports. 

I have seniors as crew chiefs, and each day we have a mini production meeting where they say what task they'll be working on. At the end of class, while the "minions" are cleaning up, the Chief completes the report. This provides a written record of what students were working on, and back up for me if I see students shirking their assigned crew to "Help" a friend. 

This doc has my modified, simpler version first, then the original version (where the teacher creates and types in the to-do list). I got bogged down trying to keep up with doing everyone's to do lists, hence the lazy version for me. :)

Crew Report Sheets (simple and detailed)

Google Docs remove preview
    Crew Report Sheets (simple and detailed)
    Crew Report Sheet Crew Head: Date: Crew Members Present today: Goals: Task Assigned to: Participation Notes: Tardy / Left Early/MIA etc...: Progress(detailed):_____________________________________________________________________________________________...
    View this on Google Docs >

------------------------------
    Ashley Bishop
    Director
    Birmingham AL

• 8.  RE: Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 09-13-2016 12:21

For those of you who will be at the Conference, here's a shameless plug.  :-)

On Saturday, I'll be presenting a three-hour workshop titled Set Design (mini) Boot Camp, during which I'll be covering the process of set design as it is done in professional theatre. We'll cover what sets really are, look at some urban legends about them, and then go into how set designers think, how we analyze the script, and how we develop and document a design from start to finish. We will also cover how long it really takes and how to develop a realistic schedule. Then we'll look at, and discuss, a number of real sets including a few designed for a high school. Finally, the attendees will have a chance to put it all to practice.

This workshop was inspired by a number of questions I've seen here in the Forum since I discovered it last November, and by some of the responses I've had to my own posts.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you there!

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 9.  RE: Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 09-14-2016 10:41

Hi George! 

I was definitely looking forward to your PD at the conference. It was the number one event for me. Sadly, my district will not allow me to attend the conference because it's in Las Vegas. It's a very conservative district & "sin city" is off limits, even though it's my hometown & I travel there at least twice a year for family gatherings. 

Venting done; now my question. Is there any way I can get the materials you are using for the class? I'm willing to pay for them. It's exactly what I've been looking for and can't find anything out there like it.

Thanks!

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 10.  RE: Stagecraft Course Outline

Posted 09-14-2016 12:12

Hi, Jeana,

Thanks for your interest! I'm surprised that going to Vegas is such an issue for your district, especially since the conference is a professional development activity. You mentioned in the other post that you're at your wit's end, and I can assure you I would be too. Wow.

That being said, this is my first year presenting here, so I'm not totally sure how EdTA makes these materials available, although I believe they will be downloadable from the web site after the conference. In my case, it's a printout of the hundred or so slides in my presentation, basically what I've seen lots of other presenters issue.

Either way, yes you can have a copy. Of course you can have a copy. If they're not downloadable after the conference, just drop me a note and I'll send you a copy..

Best,

George

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20