Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Combined Classes

Posted 07-04-2014 08:54
    So, this next year, I have been given three different drama classes. So many people asked to take it that they had to open up another section. I am really excited with how much we have grown. With that being said, all of these classes will be combined classes. Drama, I, II, III, and even a few IV kids will all be mixed up in all three classes. So how do you differentiate so those who have take the class before don't have to do the same projects that they have already done. Also, I need help with a good syllabus that is a bit more academic. I have been doing project based learning, and there is too much down/play time that management is becoming an issue. I need a more "real class" approach, but fun, nonetheless. We also do the prep for three shows a year, and I need to incorporate that when I have so many kids that just don't want to work too hard, and not enough projects to keep them busy when we are prepping. This is a lot for one post, but I need to get planning next week. ------------------------------------------- Randi Lundgren Tallahassee FL -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Combined Classes

Posted 07-05-2014 09:33
    We've had combined classes at my school a couple of times and while it is not ideal, it is workable and there can be several positive outcomes from the upper level, lower level interactions if you look for opportunities for that. I also don't see anything wrong with repeating projects each year. If you are working on two person scenes, the upper level students just have to meet higher standards. For example, theater one students could present 3 to 4 minute scenes from any time period, while theater two might be required to do classical work and theater three-four students might have to present scenes in dialogue. I think, in terms of planning, the most useful tools are: to first, chart out what you want students to do at each level. I've attached NC Essential Standards links, but those are just a guideline, I would suggest charting out your own on notebook paper-- just make four columns and use categories like acting, movement, technical theater, direction, rehearsal decorum, etc. Work up your standards so you can see how the work progresses from year to year. Post them on your office bulletin board. You can refer to them from time to time. It's also useful to make up a production calendar-- print out really big calendars-- poster sized and work on rough drafts of what you want done by certain deadlines. Have a student type those up and then post them near your drama room or outside your production area. Assign committee chairs and appoint a Business Manager to keep you on track. That helps a lot. Here are the NC Essential Standards Links http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/acre/standards/new-standards/#arts Best ------------------------------------------- Michael Johnson Trinity NC -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Combined Classes

Posted 07-06-2014 02:35
    1st and foremost, know your state standards as to what you should be teaching your kids. If your state (or anyone's state doesn't have clear standards. As well as those listed from North Carolina many states have clearer standards issued in the past few years. Combined is the name of the game for a lot of us. This last year I taught Theatre II, II, IV together, as well as two sections of Tech I-IV mixed. The tech was set up that way so that the older, more experienced kids could help teach the younger kids on the different skills. The problem was that I took over for a program where the kids did not learn a lot in tech and they were unable to teach the younger kids. I went in to teach all the basics and the older kids felt bored, even though they were being taught things they did know. That being said, the idea does work if the advanced tech kids are able to help the younger kids. I am splitting them this year to focus on building a solid foundation for the beginners and to allow the advanced tech kids a chance to progress and not wait for those behind them. After next year I might return to combined because I know I will take a hit in numbers, but management is harder with mixed classes. In the acting classes I rotate projects. I always cover basic individual event preparation and show preparation. I also look at the different acting techniques that can be rotated every 2-3 years. I also look at writing, dramaturgy, glancing at tech, especially publicity and stage management. A lot of the times the kids are working on similar projects, I will ask for a little extra from the more advanced kids. I cover history in theatre 1. Keep things fresh, if not for the kids, than for yourself, when you get bored the kids will follow pretty fast. Hopefully this helps. If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask. ------------------------------------------- Alan Strait Teacher CCSD Henderson NV -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Combined Classes

Posted 07-07-2014 06:02
    Based on the experiences of some friends, I'm experimenting next year with taking leveling away and combining everyone into one class called "Acting." I'm in the process of writing a 4 year cyclical curriculum that includes reading 3 plays per year, as well as studying various genres, techniques, etc. The idea is that a student can take Acting all 4 years of high school and come out each year having learned new things, improved on some areas, and helped others learn in even other areas. I'm fairly certain that each year we'll read one contemporary piece together and learn analysis that way. Then I want to do book groups for the 2 other shows, so we'll learn about the genre/time period/playwright/other commonality together, then the kids can choose which play to read, and read together in small groups. That way they get some choice in the matter, and they'll also learn from the other groups as we'll have some sort of project at the end of the book group. I'm still fleshing out all the details, but I hope that helps a little bit. ------------------------------------------- Laura Steenson Theatre Director Reynolds High School Troutdale OR -------------------------------------------