Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Bell Ringer Ideas

Posted 07-02-2014 08:14
    I am looking for some new bell ringer ideas to start the beginning of class? ------------------------------------------- Dean Feldman Suwanee GA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE:Bell Ringer Ideas

Posted 07-02-2014 10:32
    I use: 1) reflection on the previous day's performance if there was one 2) quotes about theatre or from famous playwrights and have them write their thoughts about it or to say what they think the author meant. 3) definitions (boring, but efficient) 4) tie in to theatre history (ie, Greek theatre developed out of rituals celebrating the god Dionysus, what rituals do you practice in your family or culture.) 5) progress check if in a long term unit/activity 6) playwriting prompts - have them write a super short scene or monologue 7) choose an actor and describe the qualities you think make them a good actor 8) any tie in to whatever you are doing in class - compare it to something in their everyday life, preview the concept or reflect on personal progress ------------------------------------------- Heather Brandon Bakersfield CA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Bell Ringer Ideas

Posted 07-03-2014 10:00
    Zimmerman's Intro to Theater Arts book has some neat journal entry questions you can use or create your own based on her structural approach. It's also pretty interesting to go right to warm ups as soon as the bell rings and then come back for a discussion and a short journal entry. Students have to have small notebooks-- they can bring to the workshop space, that works well. ------------------------------------------- Michael Johnson Trinity NC -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Bell Ringer Ideas

Posted 07-13-2014 14:13
    For years I tried to push the written bell-ringer but for acting classes. One year, after reading student feedback and learning how much the kids actually like the focus work of our physical warm ups,  I decided that was my bell-ringer. 

For tech, bell-ringers are quick activities that are brain warm ups to our topic (making a pigment and lighting color wheel, putting a saddle clamp on rigging cable) or "brainteasers" that force them to problem solve - a big problem with our kids as they want us to do the thinking for them.

-------------------------------------------
    Tiffany Carstensen
    Salem OR
    -------------------------------------------