Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dramaturgy Class?

Posted 07-01-2014 20:18
    Does anyone out there teach a Dramaturgy Lesson as part of a class or an entire class about Dramaturgy (talking high school related)? What is your lesson/ curriculum like? Is it considered a Theatre Class, or does it fall under the umbrella of another content area? Thanks! ------------------------------------------- Victoria Kesling Councill Theatre Teacher New Kent County Public Schools New Kent VA -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Dramaturgy Class?

Posted 07-04-2014 03:42
    For my production classes, I require all the students to do dramaturgical research.  We do a read-through of the play or musical before auditions, and I have the students list things they need to learn about to design and understand the show.  I have always compiled all of those into one list, but we will probably go to a Google shared doc next year.  I always add "Prior productions" to the list of items.  All of the students in our school have laptops, but we still reserve library time to do research in the stacks and on the desktop computers that are connected to printers.  They submit their research documents (a basic word processing document with chunks of text and pictures pasted in, with the URL of each source pasted by the copied text or picture.)  I grade their work and choose which pictures and info to print on either my b/w laser printer or color ink jet. Those pictures go into prop/set and costume binders, or get taped onto dressing room mirrors for hair dressing, makeup, etc.  

Students in Technical Theatre, a class that only pops in once every two years in my school, present their research documents to the class via a data projector, and we make design choices as we go through the presentations.  They also have access to the printouts from the students in the class that is performing the show. 

New play dramaturgy is different, and we cover that in our playwriting units. 

-------------------------------------------
    C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC
    -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Dramaturgy Class?

Posted 07-05-2014 10:17
    We do not offer a Dramaturgy Class. However, I teach the skills involved in Dramaturgy in all of my classes. For productions, we do things similarly to the way others have listed on the forum. Google Drive is essential and we do all of our document and photo sharing on it for productions. I would also like to offer Pinterest as a means for photos, images, and ideas to be shared. The students can comment and include historical information on the pictures. We are fortunate that all our students have iPads,so this makes it easy. ------------------------------------------- Lisa Houston Pennington NJ -------------------------------------------