Open Forum

View Only

Plays for Social Justice

• 1.  Plays for Social Justice

Posted 06-25-2014 11:08
    Are there any quality one act plays with social justice themes that anyone may know of, read and/or directed?

-------------------------------------------
    James Smith
    Illinois Chapter Director
    Ridgewood High School

• 2.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 06-27-2014 15:00

Is there any particular social issue you want to tackle in the one act?

If you don't find anything out there worth pursuing, an interesting idea you might consider is Theatre of the Oppressed. If this is an unfamiliar term, I would describe it as a sort of improv/audience participation experience that encourages overcoming many types of injustices without the use of violence. I've never seen it done, just read about it, but I think there would be a lot of educational opportunities for the actors and the audience. It takes a little research to get a good grasp of how it works, I would start by Googling "Augusto Boal" (founder) and "Forum Theatre" and then look for examples online if this sounds like something you want to know more about.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 06-29-2014 22:09
    I, too, am interested in social justice plays. I am familiar with I Never Saw Another Butterfly and The Laramie Project, as well as some anti-bullying plays by Lindsay Price from Theatrefolk.

This is open to everyone: What other social justice plays are available as one acts and/or appropriate for middle school actors that you've had success with?
    Thank you,

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 4.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 06-30-2014 12:35
    One suggestion is to start looking up practitioners and groups from other cultures. For example, when I teach my Social Justice Theatre unit to my Intermediate students, I base much of it on the work I did when I taught in New South Wales (Australia) for Stage 5 (grades 9 and 10). Being careful not to interfere with potential units for the HSC on Brecht, I started there and then would move on to Augusto Boal and Dario Fo, amongst others. Their work and legacy is amazing and Dario Fo's plays (along with his wife, Franca Rama's plays) have a lot to explore. From there, you can look into verbatim theatre from the likes of Moises Kaufmann to Alana Valentine, and more. Good Luck and I would love to see us create a depository of titles!

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 5.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 07-05-2014 11:11
    Hi everyone - Recovering from an exhilerating (although also exhausting) week at Festival - and just getting to my email... I purposely stayed away from my computer this past week, to spend time with my family & get ready to hosting a picnic this weekend! However - I must comment about this thread. In April, we produced a show called "The Locker Next 2 Mine" by Jonathan Dorf. It centers around the theme of teen suicide and depression - and is very moving! Ironically, we wanted to produce this play as our fall mainstage in November, 2012 - but our administration said no, because it was "too touchy & too sensitive of a subject." An alumni had just died in a motorcycle accident, and had 2 younger siblings still at our HS at the time. However, when a new club was sponsored this past fall, this play kept coming to mind - and when I pitched the idea again, I got a yes! Here's the synopsis from www.youthPLAYS.com <http://www.youthplays.com> (there is a one-act version also available through Playscripts) It's tough being a mid-year arrival in your junior year of high school. To make matters worse for Alisa, her locker is next to this sprawling shrine for a female lacrosse player who died in an auto accident. While the popular "M Squad" leads a school that is in a state of non-stop remembrance for Beth, Alisa is just trying to eke out enough space to get to her books. But her efforts to find breathing room lead her to discover that there was another passing that no one is talking about, and it's left many of the school's students trying to pick up their own pieces. When she connects with Brady, former student TV reporter who infamously had a meltdown in the middle of a broadcast, can they help the community take its first steps toward healing? A play about teen suicide and dealing with loss. We partnered with our newly chartered club, Aevidum, and split the proceeds from this production. Their message is simply, "I've got your back" - and that we need to treat people nicely, smile, say hello - and of course, empowering youth to make a difference. It was started by a local school in my county after a student's suicide - but they are chartering new clubs all over now. Check out www.aevidum.org <http://www.aevidum.org> for more information. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to see production photos - or some insight as to how we doubled up on roles. We encouraged Aevidum club members to audition - and had several students involved who had never performed on stage before, as well as our Thespian students. Two of our cast members were from the Life Skills class, which was a neat opportunity for everyone. We were fortunate that our school is relatively close to Jonathan Dorf's parents, and the timing worked out for him to attend our productions. While in town, he was able to meet with Joe Vulopas, the director of Aevidum, and I hope that this will help create more partnerships as the word gets out about both this wonderful play, and the Aevidum message. Definitely check this one out!!! ------------------------------------------- Melissa Mintzer Penn Manor HS Millersville PA -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 06-30-2014 13:01
    A lot of it depends on what type of issues you are looking to deal with, as well as how far you're willing or able to take them.

I've come across this book a couple times, which has a collection of short plays
    http://www.playscripts.com/play/1742
    You can also look at the bully plays from Dramatic Publishing, there are selections from in there.
    Check out Lovewell, they have some plays written by students
    On the note of work written by students, maybe it would be interesting to see what they can come up with.
    The Exonerated is a two act play but can still be done in about 75 minutes, great play about the death penalty.

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 7.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 08-07-2017 19:55
    I had a phenomenal experience directing And Then They Came for Me: Remembering the World of Anne Frank.  It's a 65 minute play that follows 2 survivor's teenage lives during the Holocaust. One was Anne's first boyfriend, Hello,  in the diaries. The other survived with her mother after knowing Anne, being betrayed around the same time as Anne,  and became Otto Frank's step daughter after the war. Video footage of their survivor interviews and archival footage from the 30s and 40s including sound effects make this production a very moving experience. I actually met the female survivor the day after I closed my production who was flown to NYC from London this past Novemberdor a Q & A after a professional production. 

------------------------------
    David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 8.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 08-08-2017 08:19
    Plus there are great plays about historical events that led to social justice reforms -- Triangle or The Triangle Factory Fire ProjectRadium Girls or These Shining LivesThe Good Fight (women's suffrage).

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 9.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 08-10-2017 10:48
    The lottery by Shirley Jackson. Great opportunities for discussion.

Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 10.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 08-08-2017 09:10
    I taught a social justice unit with the  Laramie Project last fall and the students really responded to it.  This bridged into a unit on Verbatim Theatre where they devised there own piece. Another one-act written in the same style is, The Katrina Project, which examines the lives of people who lived before, during, and after Hurricane Katrina. It deals with poverty, immigration, and environmental issues.

Shows that I have taught or directed that deal with other issues

Racism: Hairspray, Raisin in the Sun,  The Piano Lesson, 
    Feminism: The Heidi Chronicles.
    Gentrification: Radio Golf

Other plays that I have read and plan to explore with students someday are:

Diary of Anne Frank/ And Then They Came for Me
    Some of My best Friends are Smiths
    The Secret life of girls

I agree it would be nice to have a list compiled. This is an interesting thread to follow:)

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, MD

• 11.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 08-08-2017 15:41
    My kids responded really strongly to "War At Home: Students Respond to September 11th" by Nicole Quinn, "Booby Trap" by Ed Monk and "And" by Alan Haehnel. You might also look at the various Brad Slaight scripts which, while not specifically social awareness, do deal with issues that affect the young adult

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 12.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 08-11-2017 09:21
    My 8th grade students performed Box by by Lindsay Price and they really enjoyed it.  I think it would work for high school or middle school.  We also wrote some bonus vignettes in class and added them to the performance.

Stephanie Vitulli
    Middle School Theater Director
    Highlands Ranch CO

• 13.  RE: Plays for Social Justice

Posted 08-14-2017 12:00
    We have written a variety of original 40 minute musicals (piano accompaniment) around various social justice issues ranging from undocumented students to transgender student issues.  You are welcome to use them.  All of these shows have been entered in the Wisconsin High School Theater Festival and most progressed to win awards at State.  They have good size ensembles and one is built for audience discussion and interaction in the end. 

Contact me:  nancy.gibson@rusd.org

Nancy

Nancy Gibson
    Eagle Theater Teacher
    Racine Unified School District
    Racine WI