Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rog and Hamm InstrumentalEase

Posted 06-24-2014 09:06

We are nearly decided on In the Heights, but our music director is worried about his upcoming potential pit not being as strong as he likes to provide for us.  I've never done a show from RNH, so I am not familiar with the program they offer called InstrumentalEase.  I would love to hear from anyone who has used it, regardless of the show, and know how you used it and how it worked (or didn't) for you.

Thanks
    -------------------------------------------
    Mark Johnson
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Stevenson High School
    Sterling Heights, MI

• 2.  RE: Rog and Hamm InstrumentalEase

Posted 06-25-2014 10:04
    While nothing can match the power, energy and adaptability of a crew of live musicians, I am a fan of both the R&H InstramentalEase as well as the MTI Orchextra systems.

Both systems allow for key changes, cuts, tempo changes and everything else you will do with the rest of your musicians.

Two issues of which to be aware:
    1) Make sure you have a computer that can handle the software.  I HIGHLY recommend using an Apple laptop.
    2) In order to take full advantage of the system, you need someone who is both a musician very computer savvy.  

As I've used these systems over the years, I've become more familiar with the "bells and whistles."  While frustrating at first, with time, and LOTS OF PATIENCE, I have been able to make the adjustments needed.  The more time your operator can spend practicing with them, the better.

The best part of these systems, in my opinion, is in rehearsal.  You can run your actors/singers/dancers with the actual instrumentation without also needing all of your musicians for each session.

"In the Heights" is a great show.  Break a leg!
    Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head
    Chattanooga TN