Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 06-22-2014 13:23
    Does anyone have any advice on how to build an ensemble into LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS so that it does not look forced or unnecessary? Considering it for the school musical, but would like to see if there is any appealing way to expand the cast. Let me know! ------------------------------------------- John Stephan Teacher of Language and Dramatics Arts Glassboro NJ -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 06-23-2014 08:40
    We produced Little Shop this past spring, and we incorporated an ensemble into "Skid Row", "Dentist", and "Don't Feed The Plants". For "Skid Row", it was easy--just take what's written for the Winos and assign the solos and harmonies to the company. We had the ensemble come out of the wings and do a dance routine with giant toothbrushes during "Dentist". They didn't sing, but they really made the number pop. For the finale, we draped the company in vines and made them part of the monster Audrey II. It *really* helps to have those extra voices at the end! Good luck with your production, and I hope this helps! ------------------------------------------- Rachelle Udell Choral and Drama Director Eagle's Landing High School McDonough GA -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 06-23-2014 13:19
    I'm going to offer a different piece of advice: don't do it.

The show was written to be played small, and it works best that way.

I have seen I-don't-know-how-many productions that turn "Downtown" into a number that Cecil B. DeMille would have envied, with all kinds of winos and prostitutes who have that one number to do and nothing much else, and it skews the proportions of the show badly.  I have also seen the three girls, who are supposed to remind us of all of those close-harmony "girl group" trios from the early 1960s, expanded to include anywhere from six to eighteen - eighteen! - girls, all in the name of giving more kids a chance to participate.  If that's your need, I would strongly urge you to choose a show that was written for a larger cast, and not try to make this square peg fit into a round hole.

I don't even like it when the six or seven small roles that are supposed to be played by the actor who plays Orin are assigned to other actors, often one per part.  These roles are too small to make much impression when divvied up that way, but when one actor plays all of them, it adds to the hilarity as that same face keeps popping up in different guises.

I've seen numerous high-school productions of this show, even adjudicating some of them for festival performances, so I speak from a good bit of experience when I say that this show always works better smaller.

-------------------------------------------
    Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 4.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 06-24-2014 02:23
    I have directed Little Shop twice - it is a small company show. The only real company number is Skid Row. However, there are some bit parts such as customers in the shop at different times and all the professionals who try to get Seymour to sign contracts. I also doubled the narrator/doo wap girls to six (two for each vocal part) instead of three for the production I just did this Spring. All six were in some numbers, but only three were in others - depending on the desired staging. I also used three different puppeteers - one per plant size. (Seymour controls puppet # 2.) Hope that helps. 

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN

• 5.  RE: Little Shop of Horrors

Posted 06-27-2014 15:07
    I may be late on this, as I'm playing email-catchup, but wanted to weigh in.  Little Shop has about 12 characters if you stretch. We did it last fall with a cast of 24.

Instead of 3 do-wop girls, we had 7.  We divided up the solos roughly evenly.

We split out the 3 bit parts at the end in "meek shall inherit"

We had a small chorus for the opening number and finale.  Those members were townspeople types in the opening, and we made them part of the plant at the end, extending the plant into the audience.  They were delivery people in "closed for renovation", and occasionally customers when it wasn;t distracting.

Hope this helps!

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Colorado Springs CO