Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  G2K Musicals?

Posted 06-19-2014 01:10
    Someone recently mentioned Rogers & Hammerstein's G2K collection in this forum, and since we do a lot of MTI Jr musicals with our local youth community theatre, I thought I'd look into it. The titles sound great but the G2K website doesn't offer much information. If anyone can help, here are a few questions I had: -What is the normal run time on these shows? (We generally like ours to run between 55 & 85 mins) -The website says these are appropriate for elementary schools. Could they work for middle or high school groups, or in our case, a range from 5yrs to 18yrs? -How do the CDs compare to MTI's Jr products? -Are the materials still distributed on a rental basis, as R&H's standard musicals are, or does the production company actually purchase materials, as it goes with MTI's Jr versions? Thanks for any info you can give! And if you've had experience with these titles, please feel free to share! If you'd recommend them (or not) do let me know! Jeremy Williams Cook High School / Cook Summer Theatre for Youth Adel, GA ------------------------------------------- Jeremy Williams Adel GA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE: G2K Musicals?

Posted 06-20-2014 10:41
    Hey Jeremy,

Valdosta Middle School has done two of the G2K shows.  Cinderella and Once Upon a Mattress.  They both ran about 60 minutes.  My middle school students performed both shows and I'm still getting feed back about them years later.  They LOVED it!  The CD is set up just like the Jr. productions.  You will receive the vocal tracks and then also the accompaniment tracks as well.  The production rates are also the same as MTI, as you pay for the package and you receive all your scripts, CDs, production guild and study packets with your royalties.  And I believe your contract with royalties is for one year, but I could be confusing myself with MTI.

I do recommend the titles I have done.  I believe I still have my director scripts if you would like to take a look through them.  I would be happy to help!

Have a great summer!

Toni Jarvis
    Valdosta Middle School, Valdosta, Ga
    tjarvis@gocats.org

-------------------------------------------
    Toni Jarvis
    Valdosta GA

• 3.  RE: G2K Musicals?

Posted 06-21-2014 09:59
    G2K musicals will not allow high schools or community groups that are above the middle age to perform this version - which I find really frustrating. I like the MTI junior shows that work really well as a production that my musical theatre class can work on during class time. The royalties for the MTI junior shows give you the package, scripts to keep, accompaniment CD and you pay per show. The difference with an MTI show is that middle schools only pay one fee and can perform the show as many times as you want to within a given year. I wish that R&H musicals had the same policy for their G@K musicals. I did the King and I G2K a few years ago and the materials were excellent. ------------------------------------------- Marla Blasko Theatre Arts Director Columbia MD -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: G2K Musicals?

Posted 06-20-2014 11:09
    I did Cinderella G2 with middle school.  It is very much the same as MTI JR shows.  If you had done Broadway JR series shows, you know the G2 experience.

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 5.  RE: G2K Musicals?

Posted 06-20-2014 20:55
    I have really enjoyed working with G2K. I have found that while MTIjr shows have become more heavy in the choral area and lighter dramatically, G2K shows have kept a stronger storyline with more character development (as much as one gets in musical theater). The things G2K supplies are the same as the MTI kit: performance and accompanient C.D.s, good notes, and they run the same length. I do not recall getting a choreography DVD but I have found the MTI ones of little help. We have done Once Upon A Mattress and The King and I. True to R&H musicals, they are typically dependent on strong female and male leads. Mattress was well edited to make it appropriate for younger audiences. I have looked at Oklahoma! several times and would love to do it but because I am a 1st-8th grade program, I was uncomfortable with "I Can't Say No" which was written true to the original. If they would edit that one song just a little, it would be on our stage this coming year. The service representatives have been great to work with. I really do recommend their shows. Check them out. ------------------------------------------- Valerie Scott Duluth GA -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: G2K Musicals?

Posted 03-19-2017 15:27
    I have a question about the G2K King and I, specifically, how did the script handle the whipping scene?  I am deciding on a version for my 7-12 grade Musical theater class, and we tend to lean conservative with family friendly themes, but it's an important plot line!

Does anyone remember how that scene went?

Thanks!

Alice

------------------------------
    Alice Griffith

• 7.  RE: G2K Musicals?

Posted 06-23-2014 11:18
    I teach 7th and 8th grade theatre and I have used the G2K shows for Cinderella and Oklahoma which I really liked. You have to find a Hal Leonard distributor to purchase the show kit and I used the online JW Pepper site. The kit includes music and choreography CDs and the students get to keep the scripts. They are very similar to the MTI Jr shows in production value and run about the same time. I would definitely recommend them.

Marcia Anderson
    Mission Viejo CA

• 8.  RE: G2K Musicals?

Posted 02-24-2015 19:46

Does anyone have either a director's script or student libretto script for the G2K version of Cinderella and Oklahoma! that I can look at or buy? I've ordered the sampler cd for $10, but from what I can determine, it does not include a perusal script for the show.  I will pay someone via paypal to overnight them to me. Kind of in a desperate situation.  I'm in Alabama and I noticed a few folks from Georgia in this thread.  I will return them to you asap.  Please, please, please. Email address: tangled213@gmail.com  
    Kathryn Myrick