Open Forum

View Only

Starting from Scratch

• 1.  Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-13-2014 15:09
    My school district in northwest Alabama is initiating a theater program, and I am (hopefully) going to be hired to pilot it and teach a new theater class.  I am a brand new teacher, having worked for the district as a sub and the web-admin, and now I'm building a drama class/club/program from scratch.

I may be coming to the forum with a few questions, but my first is, what are my must-haves for outfitting my classroom?  I will have a classroom space and an adjoining classroom that will be our studio/performance space.  What do I need to buy, request, or dumpster-dive for?

-------------------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-13-2014 22:27
    What fun! (...and a lot of work.) If you're going to have a black box type space, flexible seating is nice to have. You want levels so the audience can see, but you want to be able to move things around. While you can work with just a boombox/ipod and speakers, a sound system is nice. You'll want some sort of lighting system. I don't suppose that is a must to start, but lights sure are nice for making small spaces look different. Of course if you are going to build seating/risers on your own, you need tools. A sewing machine? Scripts! You might want to start by figuring out what kinds of plays you want to produce your first year, then build your requests off of specific needs. I look forward to seeing what other folks say! ------------------------------------------- Amy Sidwell Director of Theatrical Arts Woodburn Arts and Communications Academy Canby OR -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-14-2014 08:15
    Wow, That sounds great. Should be a lot of fun. In terms of the spaces-- I would look at the classroom as a blank slate, try to create an environment that has as much space as possible. A lot of people I've seen who have a classroom, have chairs that line three of the walls for students to sit and then the resulting middle is their workshop space. Some rehearsal boxes would be useful here and maybe a few folding tables-- that way you can get them out of the way when you need to and use them to create, make and write when needed. In terms of the performance space, creating a "black box" might be nice. If you have them available nearby or even within a 100 miles or so, set up some tours of theater spaces and talk with the TD's and Directors. Your space will evolve as you work and that should be a lot of fun for your students and yourself. Some things you might look at purchasing or making early on are a stand or truss based lighting system, some masking drapery, a portable sound system, platforming with legs, and see if your district will install some grid pipe from the ceiling in the extra classroom. In terms of resources, two costume racks would be good, as well as just some money for scripts, books for you, royalties, consumable supplies, costume rental and dry cleaning. Is there a place that could be your office? Sometimes, that is better than trying to work out of the workshop space. Again, sounds like a lot of fun. Don't be afraid to create a space and then scrap it to create again a new. ------------------------------------------- Michael Johnson Trinity NC -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-14-2014 10:09
    Clear storage containers, both shoebox size and larger. While cardboard boxes are good, see through will make it easier to locate small props like jewelry, knives, hats. If you don't have storage, keep that in mind for donors. Also, if you don't have storage, keep that in mind when choosing your first two years of shows: shows that the kids can wear their own clothes. ------------------------------------------- Vicki Bartholomew Playwright Sherwood OR -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-14-2014 11:18
    Are you going to be have a space to build in? If so you'll need some basic tools and supplies (wood, screws, hammers, drills, nails, bolts, clamps, saws, etc). You might be able to get donations from parents or other adults. I'd also check out your local Home Depot or Lowes. They always have cull wood and will sometimes (at least in AZ) donate it to the theatre department (for teaching with).

I'd also recommend having an area set aside for costumes, props, make-up, etc. I teach out of my costume/storage/prop/make-up/office space as well. What I ended up doing is building bookshelves that hold all of my props and scripts and built a fairly large costume closet that holds the "good/ok" costumes. The really nice stuff is in a closed costume closet and the pieces for class use are folded on a shelf. It's crowded but doable. Everything is on the walls in the room and the center is left open for the kids to use. I have a few fairly high stacks of chairs that each class stacks at the end of the period. It helps keep the room looking neater and doesn't take up a lot of space.

I also take my kids out of the classroom frequently. We work all around the campus. It creates an interesting teaching and performance experience for the kids and allows me to have them all working. I also grab the auditorium any time I can. Is that an option for you?

When I came into my current school there wasn't a lot there. I've had to build it up over time. I spent a lot of money on perusal scripts, scene, and monologue books. It's now a nice little library that the kids can peruse when they need something for an upcoming audition; or even just something to read after they finish tests in other classes. I'd spend money here first.

Hope this helps! :)
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-16-2014 10:26
    These are all great suggestions, thanks.  I'll add to the list:  Shelves and storage!  Setting up a room full of scripts, with props and costumes available to use, we'll need places to put it all.

Our school doesn't have an auditorium currently.  That's down the road five years, give or take, depending on how fast the program grows and how much financing the idea can generate.  But I love the idea of getting the class out working in a variety of locations.  Anything to goose their creativity and keep them from growing stagnant.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield AL

• 7.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-17-2014 09:27
    If you are really starting from scratch, you might want to consider folding chairs with a desk arm rather than desks or chairs.  I have a wide open space that is also a dance studio, and the folding chairs make the room limitless.  I have a few regular chairs, small tables, and a couch for set pieces, but being able to get the student desks out of the way completely is really nice.

Katherine Miller
    Theater Teacher
    Paul VI Catholic High School
    Herndon VA

• 8.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-18-2014 08:26
    What a great adventure! With regard to storage, especially as your "empire" grows (and it surely will!), try to keep these things in mind: Make sure your storage containers are portable/sturdy. Lightweight bins with snap-close covers -- on wheeled shelves, if you can have those donated -- have been a blessing to us. Keep your containers lightweight so that even small theatre folks (and, in later years, you yourself!) can move them. Use plastic containers rather than cardboard boxes whenever possible, to avoid damage by moisture or varmints. Most important: Be a gentleman about your requests, but don't be afraid to speak up, either. You may find you are offered much more than it is feasible or desirable to accept, especially with regard to costume items (we get a "spring cleaning" surge every year, and a lot just ends up going to our local Goodwill or Salvation Army. You will discover allies in the most unexpected places (some years ago, a parent helped clean out the stock of a local vintage clothing store, and we're STILL benefiting from that donation!). Best of luck! ------------------------------------------- Joanne Buyniski Whitinsville MA -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-17-2014 14:02
    If your school has given you a budget, I would seriously consider building a set of rehearsal cubes.  A set of two or three larger cubes and four small ones will give you instant set pieces in your classroom space as well as for whatever shows you do. I built mine, but when we added another theatre teacher, the district paid a local guy to build them for us.  You will use them as long as you teach for everything you do.  WELL WORTH the investment!

Lynnae Lathrop
    MS Speech and Drama teacher
    Waukee Comm. School District
    Waukee IA

• 10.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-14-2014 16:06
    Play scripts and more play scripts and even more play scripts which include a variety of genres and reading levels. ------------------------------------------- Gai Jones Ojai CA -------------------------------------------

• 11.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-15-2014 12:43
    Do the scripts come out of your theatre budget or your library budget?

Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR

• 12.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-14-2014 11:18
    With your two rooms, you already have more than many teachers ever get. There are only two must haves for my classroom. One is scripts. Lots of them. Scenes, monologues, anything. The classics are good to have on hand. Amazon is good, used bookstores are good. The other must have is so e sturdy chairs. Matching is preferable. If you have four sturdy chairs, they can become everything you need for monologues and scene work. ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck Lakewood CO -------------------------------------------

• 13.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-14-2014 16:04
    A lot of this will depend upon what kind of budget you have and how the space, especially the performance space, is outfitted. The truth is that you can do a production with minimal stuff. As long as there's an audience and actors, you're good to go. The danger with doing this kind of work is that non-theatre folks (like administrators) will think, "See, he doesn't really need anything to do a show", and you'll never get the kind of supplies that you really need.If you want to lay it out to them beforehand, what the program needs for productions is: A pipe grid permanently mounted to the ceiling A lighting control system (dimmers and board) An inventory of lighting instruments (the specifics on both of those are contingent upon the size of the space) A sound system- amp, speakers, equalizer/control, and some sort of interface to either a cd player or computer Masking curtains, preferably movable, so that the space can be reconfigured Seats Risers for the audience I've started or expanded three theatre programs in the last 30 years, and it's always an exciting experience. Have patience. Focus on the kids and not on the spaces. Set your expectations high and work toward them. Keep a positive attitude and a sense of humor. Good luck, Josh. ------------------------------------------- Michael Bergman Teacher/Director Alexandria VA -------------------------------------------

• 14.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-14-2014 21:52
    Some great ideas here.  Having no idea what the fiances are, or whether the spaces are being built / modified or anything like that... the responses run the gamut.  I will assume that you have barely any money and no ability to change the spaces structurally (can you tell I have been in public education awhile?).  I echo the folks who say books.  You will need scene and monologue books, multiple copies of each titles chosen.  I am a big fan of the Actors theatre of Louisville ten minute play books.  There are tons of ten minute play books out there but the ATL books are (I think) the best.  The newer format they have also divides the plays into number of actors, so you can get say six copies of the for two actors, six of the for 3 actors, etc.  I would also encourage you to have some theory books around.  Some chairs (school should have some - you want the ones without desks if possible - cost = $0), some tables - hopefully you can scrounge those from the school too.  That's the bare bones version.  If you have actual money that plus boxes, platforms, etc listed by others.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 15.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-16-2014 14:41
    There are some older threads on similar topics that might help you too, they are:

Renovations

Theatre Rehab

What would you purchase?

Top Books
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 16.  RE: Starting from Scratch

Posted 06-17-2014 07:46
    Lots of great ideas here, and it seems like you've got lots of space now, but eventually you'll feel you don't have enough room, so also think storage and flexibility in terms of items that can be used for both class and performance. 

My favorites include simple black stools, bentwood chairs, and a couple of sets of nesting boxes - either closed or open on two ends for more possibilities.

Kaleroy Zervos
    Middle School Theatre
    American School of Bombay
    White Bear Lake MN