Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  securing rights to produce NIGHT OF JANUARY l6th.

Posted 06-06-2014 09:34
    I know that David McKay Company is the publisher for NIGHT OF JANUARY l6th. and Samuel French has the script, but to whom do I go to secure the rights to produce this Ayn Rand  script and need phone number, email address, or snail mail address please.

-------------------------------------------
    Pam Ware
    Director of Theatre
    Gainesville City Schools
    Gainesville GA

• 2.  RE: securing rights to produce NIGHT OF JANUARY l6th.

Posted 06-06-2014 12:28
    Hi Pam,

If you go here, you will find complete information on contacts:
    http://ari.aynrand.org/faq

In your case...

For amateur production rights requests, contact:
    Random House
    Permissions Department
    1745 Broadway, 3rd Floor
    New York, NY 10019
    Mail your request, or fax to (212) 572-6066.

I'm now going to pat myself on the back for being a very good researcher.  Feel free to give me a hug in Lincoln or at EdTA. :-)

Cheers,
    Jon

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 3.  RE: securing rights to produce NIGHT OF JANUARY l6th.

Posted 06-07-2014 14:29
    We did this show in October 2007 and secured the rights from Random House at the contact address Jonathan has already posted. We were granted permission to perform any edition of the play. In the introduction to the edition we used, Rand expressed her dissatisfaction with the amateur version (edited by Nathaniel Edward Reeid), going so far as "...to state formally, for the record and as a public notice, that the amateur version of Night of January 16th is not written by me and is not part of my works." (She goes on to say that "the movie version of this play is another horror story.") We didn't find any of the material in the "real" edition problematic for a high school cast or audience.

Jeffrey Barrett
    Director of Technical Theatre
    Pebble Beach CA