Open Forum

View Only

Awards

• 1.  Awards

Posted 06-05-2014 00:20
    For several years I have considered rethinking how I handle awards. And I would love some ideas. Right now, everyone who is an active member votes on all performance awards, even if they haven't seen all shows. This leads me to two questions: what awards are others actually giving out and how do you choose who gets them? I have considered selecting a group of adults and/or students who are not being voted upon to commit to seeing every show and choosing the winners, such as happens at state competition. But perhaps I need to rethink what awards I am giving out (best actor, best actress, best techie, etc.) and/or rethink how this is decided (based on points perhaps). Thanks for the ideas!

-------------------------------------------
    Tim Brown
    Greenville SC

• 2.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-06-2014 08:57

I have the individual directors choose their awards. Technical Director chooses Tech, Music Director Chooses Singer and so on. I am hesitant to allow students to vote, because it becomes a popularity contest. Here are the Awards I gave out this year.

Best Thespian (Heart, Most well rounded Thespian, Active in group, not just shows)
    Director's Award for Artistic Achievement (Cumulative 4 year award)
    Leadership
    Best Actor in a Musical
    Best Actress in a Musical
    Best Actor in a Play
    Best Actress in a Play
    Best Singer
    Best Dancer
    Best Tech

Kelly McFarland
    Head of Dramatics
    Hayes High School
    Delaware OH

• 3.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-06-2014 09:18
    I sit down with my graduating Pres and Vice Pres (these positions are only allowed to be held by seniors in our troupe) and we go over everyone who is active in the club. They are allowed to give input on all but 2 awards. Those 2 awards are the Veteran Award and the Grandma Schwartz Award. There was a thread a while ago where I discussed this in more detail... under thespian induction ideas (I think). Other than that we do:

Most Improved Male and Female
    Best Actor Male and Female (there is no distinction for musical v play)
    Best Techie
    MVP

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-06-2014 10:18
    We give out several awards - Leading Actor and Actress, Supporting, Cameo, Rising Star Techie and Performer, Booth Crew, Backstage Crew, Stage Management/Directing, Vocalist, Dancer.
    Any school staff member or drama club/ITS students who have seen all three shows can vote. I do not allow them to vote if they have not seen all three. Those who did not see all three still get to vote on the officers' superlative awards (those are the "just for fun" best smile, etc).

Theresa Nigus
    O'Fallon MO

• 5.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-06-2014 10:52
    I don't give out any troupe awards. Those who have at least 100 points and have been faithful and productive troupe members receive honor cords at the end of the year party/inductions. Out school also has an awards day and I present book awards:one for Performance and one for Achievement in Tech Theatre. These are culmination awards that represent hard work and excellence Over the course of their four years in high school. Connie ------------------------------------------- Connie Voight Alabama Randolph School Huntsville AL -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-06-2014 11:35
      |   view attached
    Great timing for this question. Our 51st annual Thespian Awards Banquet is tonight. 

For many years we have had a panel of judges-a combination of teachers, older alumni, and community members-who come to every show. They each receive a ballot and vote in many categories. Each judge receives two comp tickets to each production. With a season of 7-10 shows it is a large commitment, but we've always been able to find excellent volunteers.

I've attached a copy of our banquet program so you can get an idea of what they vote on.

At our banquet we also recognize and honor our judges. Some years I have keychains engraved for them, other years I've made paperweights, water bottles etc with our dept logo.

Hope this helps.

Krista Carson Elhai
    California
    Claremont CA

Attachment(s)

doc
    Banquet_Program.doc   341 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-06-2014 14:01
    I had my thespian board (5 members) give me nominations.  From that list I created a list of nominees to put out to a vote.  I allowed anyone who was a part of the theater company, regardless if that meant one show or all four, to vote.  The only rule was they had to of either seen the show or been involved. I only did legitimate awards like lead male actor in the musical, senior of the year, costume design of the year, etc.  Nothing frivolous or mock.  In the end, we gave out over 30 awards and everyone who won felt they truly deserved something and those who didn't knew the system was set up to be as honest and true as possible.  I warned against a popularity contest, but this is something that I couldn't control.  I think 90% of the awards played out correctly.

Mark Johnson
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Farmington Hills MI

• 8.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-06-2014 23:35
    My school also has a senior awards night. When I got here 9 years ago (Yikes!) I was expected to give out best actor and actress, tech supporting actor & actress.  I did not like being limited to 5 (only 1 tech), and I really did not like declaring someone best actor.  So I changed that, now I give out awards - to as many as I feel deserve - it all of which are for "outstanding contributions to Drama Club".  Generally I give out between 6 to 8, to whatever seniors I feel (on either side of the curtain) went over and above throughout their time with me.  I am the one who decides who gets the awards (mainly because that was the setup when I got here).  I like that because I see the kids often go with popularity.  That said, my parent group has the kids vote for two seniors every year for the "unsung hero" award.  They list all the seniors and tell them they need to pick one techie and one actor/actress who maybe never has the lead but who contributes greatly.  Most years the kids do a good job of putting the popularity aspect aside - though there have been a few times where they clearly went with the person they liked best over the person who truly deserved it.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 9.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-07-2014 10:11
    'What's In a Name?"

I found, when deciding my recognition awards, that the name of the award really did matter. "Best Actor" did not send the message I wanted to the students or parents. I also wanted to recognize more than just acting talent. The success of any program is often due in large part to the commitment of numerous chorus members, not on the backs of one or two leads. The awards in earned in my program are...

The Commitment to Excellence Medallion
    All inducted 8th graders can earn this medallion by being active members in their final year of the program. At our ceremony, these 8th graders give a short speech on what being part of our Drama program has meant them. Their speeches are always the heart of our ceremony, speaking to parents and underclassman about the importance of creating friendships, embracing the "chorus" role, accepting being cut sometimes, and developing confidence. 

Dedication to Drama
    This award recognizes any student who has been a part of all 8 of our productions throughout their Middle School career. As an actor or as a crew member, this dedication is what builds a successful program, and it needs to be celebrated. This also gives my little 5th graders something to aspire to earn, even before being able to be inducted in 6th grade. In my 8 years running our troupe, only 8 students have earned this award (two of the years had no one). Whether the lead or chorus, acting or crew, students who are dedicated to every production create the backbone of a strong program.

Spirit of the Stage
    Let's be honest, not all of our students are amazingly talented. Most of mine have big hearts, big energy, and big dreams...but in the talent category, they fall a little short. This award recognizes the student who makes your production successful through the skills of enthusiasm, teamwork, leadership, effort, and focus. This student works hard every rehearsal, makes friends with all the cast members (not just the ones in their grade), and is a joy to be around (even in tech week). Being the most talented is not one of the requirements. Instead, this awards celebrates the student who embodies the true spirit of a passionate thespian who loves the craft!

Thespian of the Year
    Of course, I do recognize talent. Plain and simple, you don't get to be a talented Middle School thespian without putting forth your best effort every day. Needing to be part of both productions in the school year, this award challenges our students to never settle for "good enough," but to always strive for greatness. Besides the trophy, the Thespian of the Year, gets their name of a plaque that hangs in our Drama room next to our Charter and membership Roll. The names that grace the plaque are students who have moved on to our high school and thrived in the program. In fact, our first Thespian of the Year just went to college two years ago to a very prestigious theatre program, and came back to talk at our ceremony, encouraging our Middle School thespians to stay committed and passionate to theatre. Very touching and powerful!

I hope this helps and gets everyone thinking about what message of the names of their awards are sending. Ask yourself what traits your program wants to build, then recognize and celebrate them! Our program honors dedication and commitment...it is through these qualities that I feel strong, confident, passionate thespians are created. Best of luck with your program and troupe! 

Adam Moreno
    Middle School Drama and Dance Teacher
    University School of Milwaukee
    Milwaukee WI
    amoreno@usmk12.org
    Twitter - @USMDrama
    Instagram - usmdrama

• 10.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-08-2014 18:10
    I dropped the word "best" from our awards several years ago, too. I much prefer "outstanding," since best implies worst, but outstanding is just that...outstanding. It honors a recipient without implying that others are "less than"...I also give out tons of awards. If there is a tie, I give out two. It often comes to 20 or 30 awards a year.
    The only "best" I've kept is "Best Thespian." This award goes to the person who best represented our troupe.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 11.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-07-2014 14:17
    One of the difficult (but definitely interesting) aspects of the discussions is that every school is different, not to mention there are public and private schools, elementary, middle, and high schools, etc., but I give awards at cast parties to every student involved in the production.  I should point out that I teach at a small private Middle School where every student is involved somehow in the productions (and known via required drama classes that are part of the core curriculum), making such a task easier, and that most of the "awards" are funny ones given tongue-in-cheek (like "Most Interesting Backstage Action").  But I do offer all students in the cast and crew the opportunity to vote for Person-Without-Whom-This-Play-Would-Not-Have-Been-Near-as Good (who could be anyone on or off stage), Best Actor/Actress, Best Supporting Actor/Actress, and Most Valuable Techie.  Students can also nominate people for funny awards (although I obviously censor to make sure nothing is abusive, offensive, or inappropriate).  It works well for us, though your situation might be very different. For what it's worth (and I'm guessing you are in a large, public high school) it does seem to me like people who vote should have seen at least one performance of each show if these are year-end awards.

Jeff Westbrook
    Downers Grove IL

• 12.  RE: Awards

Posted 06-09-2014 19:38
      |   view attached
    The past two years, it's hard to get my Thespians together to vote on awards. So, I've forgone outstanding sophomore Thespian, junior Thespian, etc. I only gave out a Thespian of the Year award this year - it was a tie between two really devoted young ladies. No one was upset ... though I was. I like the regalia and recognition for the kids. I think it's also worth noting that I have am at a school of 348 kids, and I have an active troupe of about 15 students. At the end of each of our two shows (a fall production and a spring production), the cast and crew vote on awards. At the end of the fall show, we go and have lunch at the local Chinese buffet (each kid pays for his/her own), and I give the awards then. The awards for the spring show are given at the Thespian induction. I've attached what my document looks like. My student director helps me tally the votes. While there is always the risk of a popularity complex, my kids have been pretty solid on awarding those who should receive it. Hope this helps. ------------------------------------------- Jared Grigsby English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director MSD of Boone Township Hebron, IN -------------------------------------------

Attachment(s)

docx
    Awards Voting.docx   15 KB 1 version

• 13.  RE: Awards

Posted 04-18-2018 23:41
    I've started putting ballots on the back of each ticket, and I let the audience vote for best actor/actress and best supporting actor/actress. That way, people who have seen the show can vote on it. We do a non-musical show in the fall and a musical in the spring, so there's a best actor/actress in a play and best actor/actress in a musical, etc. voted on by the audience.

------------------------------
    Petra Pearce
    San Antonio TX
    ------------------------------