Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Objective List?

Posted 05-31-2014 19:28
    Does anybody have (or know of) a ready-made list of objectives for use as improv scenarios and acting exercises?  I have seen such a list earlier but cannot find it now. A quick search of the internet yielded results focused more on possible scenarios, rather than pinpointing an objective or intention.  Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Joshua Brady
    Menifee CA

• 2.  RE: Objective List?

Posted 06-02-2014 14:28
    I highly recommend Philip Bernardi's Improvisation Starters, published by Better Way Books.

I particularly like one major section where, instead of merely giving students situations to work with, Bernardi provides each actor with an objective that plays against the other actor's objective - much less risk of a scene withering away because no one has any idea of where to go with it.

I found the book in a national chain bookstore and have been using it for years.  Most online booksellers have it.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 3.  RE: Objective List?

Posted 06-05-2014 10:00
    You could try the Improv Encyclopedia at http://improvencyclopedia.org/  They use to be on pingpong.com, but finally got a legit domain some 5 or 6 years ago. 

I actually have the whole thing downloaded and printed in a giant binder.  It gives specifics about how to use the games and what objectives it develops - storytelling, atmosphere, etc.  It even gives you definitions for each of the objectives.  I've been using it for over a decade and it's fantastic.

Raquel "Rocky" Encalada
    Acting Coach
    Self
    Lakewood OH