Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Creative Way to Announce Musical

Posted 05-31-2014 10:15
    Greetings fellow theatre teachers! 

I just completed my first year as a theatre teacher in Kansas City and I am finally on the glorious sunny side of summer break! Each year at Oak Park the musical staff waits to announce the fall musical until the last day of school. This year (since it was my first year) I felt the need to have a bit of fun revealing the show. We totally could have just made a general announcement, tweeted it, or put it on our Facebook page...but that is too boring! 

The musical is Footloose So I made a silly video basically following the same story as the show. This was inspired by the bit Kevin Bacon did on Jimmy Fallon (dancing was forbidden, etc.) 

I knew the kids would enjoy me being silly, but what I didn't expect was the buzz it generated in our school community. After posting the video I was BOMBARDED with praise from the staff, parents, and students. They were all so excited for this show and we are months away from auditions! 

Here is the take away. I will do this every year because I know by doing this, I am getting the community excited about what we do, and getting the show in their minds months in advance. This can only be a good thing. Its free advertising! 

So I challenge you to use your creative powers to make your school communities excited about what you do. When everyone is united and on fire for what the kids are doing, great things happen (not to mention bigger audiences and more $ at the box office!) 

Go forth and be creative! Below is the link to the video I made if you would like to watch! I even got the superintendent on board with this! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyjjfgVPHL8

I welcome any thoughts or comments you may have! 

-------------------------------------------
    Brian Gehrlein
    Theatre Director
    Liberty MO

• 2.  RE: Creative Way to Announce Musical

Posted 05-31-2014 11:18
    This is awesome!! What a cool idea! I love how many people you were able to get on board with it! Well done! :) 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair
    Huntsville AL

• 3.  RE:Creative Way to Announce Musical

Posted 05-31-2014 16:11
    I really like the idea of a video! Last year we did a cast flash mob in old town to make the announcement. I feel like it helped a lot and we handed out a lot of flyers to people around and some shops put them up to help advertise as well. There is a lot of different things that can be done to advertise but I feel like doing something as a cast group bring everyone together and creates a lot more attention. Hope this helps :)

Adelina Perez
    Albuquerque NM

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: Creative Way to Announce Musical

Posted 06-02-2014 07:16
    That was hilarious!  Prompted lots of ideas - thank you for sharing.

Elizabeth Tuxill
    Dumont NJ