Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Stage Manager's Kit Must Haves

Posted 05-26-2014 21:22
    Hi guys! 

In the fall, I am headed to Webster University for Stage Management! Today, I was talking to the other stage managers in my class and we were discussing our stage management kit "must-haves" We talked about some of the obvious things to keep in there, but then started nerding out and discussing flashlights we love, and other favorite we keep or are going to get! 

Out of curiosity, my question to everyone is what items do you keep in your kit that are your favorite? Anything you would reccomend getting? 

Thanks in advance! 

-------------------------------------------
    Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair
    Huntsville AL

• 2.  RE: Stage Manager's Kit Must Haves

Posted 05-27-2014 10:37
    Hi, Katie!
    When I was researching what to include in the Stage Manager's Tool Kit that I created for your raffle at Festival, I found this list.  It is just one person's list, so I am sure there are other items to include...but I thought I would share this with you.

Of course, the kits vary, but here are some items you're likely to find in a kit:

• Medical supplies: First aid kit, tweezers, ice packs, eye-wash, cough drops, aspirin, band-aids, saline, antacid, Ace bandages and pain relievers
    • Office supplies: Pencils, pens, markers, erasers, pencil sharpener, pushpins, ruler, file folders, hole punch, paper clips, highlighters, sticky notes, legal pads, envelopes, rubber bands, binder clips, dictionary, compass, protractor, glue stick, stapler, staples, staple remover, scotch tape, white-out,
    • Convenience items: Small sewing kit, tissues, bobby pins, nail clippers, nail file, scissors, safety pins, breath mints, spare change
    • Stage supplies: 50-foot measuring tape, straight line and chalk, spare batteries, flashlight, electrical tape, spike tape, gaffers tape, glow tape, masking tape, duct tape, matches, stop watch, digital camera with USB cord for computer download, extension cord, t-square, string, clip-on lamp with dimmer switch
    • Tools: Screwdriver set, hammer, small tool kit, wrench, work gloves, utility knife, hack saw, wire cutters, small level, assortment of wood screws, nails and eyes

The items that are underlined are already in the Stage Manager's tool kit, along with other items as well, that will be raffled.  I've also created an Actor's Tool Kit!

Hope this helps!!

All my best!

Carolyn Greer
    Kentucky Thespians
    Owensboro HS - #3161

• 3.  RE: Stage Manager's Kit Must Haves

Posted 05-27-2014 10:44
    Katie! Welcome to the SM world!! My friend Shanice and I are both SM's and we have compiled a great little list for you. As always these are things we have found useful in our years stage managing. I'm sure you will find more to add but this is a good list to start with. 

Mini Flash Light
    Knife (I always carry this on my person)
    tweezers (these seem to always get used)
    band aids
    contact solution
    antiseptic
    ace bandage
    ice pack
    extension cord
    dry erase markers
    a pack of hair bands
    a pack of bobby pins
    a small container of safety pins (all sizes)
    phone charger

Computer charger

ibuprofen
    Advil
    benadryl
    small sewing kit
    highlighers
    pens 
    pencils
    small sharpener
    an extra script or score
    portable hole punch
    small stapler

sharpie

tabs to tap your script/score/libretto
    baby wipes
    tissues
    nail clippers
    scale rule
    gum
    mints
    tape measure
    spike tape 
    gaff tape
    marley 
    glow tape 
    - any of the tapes are pretty expensive so I would suggest you wait until you get to school and just use their supplies for their shows. 
    post its (small and large)

Wishing you the best of luck at Webster!! 
    -Clare and Shanice
    Clare Jaymes
    Intern to the Executive Director
    Educational Theatre Association
    Mount Vernon OH