Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Junior Thespians--Games

Posted 08-07-2013 19:27
    I am in the process of getting our school district's middle school a Junior Thespian Troupe. As we plan ahead for the year, I was beginning to think about what we'll be doing at meetings. (Our high school troupe officers will be running the Junior Thespian meetings.) For those of you with Junior Thespians around you (or that have worked with middle schoolers in theatre), what are some games you'd suggest for the meetings? I don't want to plan anything too extensive where they'll be too nervous or won't understand what's going on. But I don't want it to be too simple to the point where they're not going to have any fun. Thanks, Katie Ferchen Region IV Rep ITO

• 2.  RE:Junior Thespians--Games

Posted 08-07-2013 21:51
    At our state board leadership conference, we were all broken up into groups of 3-4. Then we were each handed a slip of paper with a random character on it. (In our group, we had Honey Boo Boo's Mom, Shrek, and Eponine.) We were given 5 minutes to create a scene. Creating the scene was really amusing. Watching everyone else's was even funnier. Maybe you could offer the option for the students to share their scene, but not make it required . 

Another game I have played is also started in groups. Each group is given a topic or something they have to accomplish. Everyone then shares the skits. After everyone has shared, we were all told that we had to combine all of our scenes into one. It was really challenging, but there was definitely a sense of teamwork and accomplishment when we were all done. 

I would also ask them what kind of game ideas they have! The Alabama STO held a games workshop where people could just come, hang out, and play improv games. We had a junior troupe join us and they had a lot of ideas and games they wanted to try too! 

Keep us posted on how everything goes with the Junior Troupe!! :) 

-------------------------------------------
    Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

-------------------------------------------