Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Storage and Stations

Posted 05-25-2014 13:43
    Was wondering if folks were proud of their solution(s) to the age old storage and or station management for props, costumes, make up, and or sewing. 

We have a nice theater and a small tech room and share a sort of multi purpose shop area with pottery and art.  A lot of our work has to be portable or movable and stow-able.  So I was wondering if folks had tackled some of these problems and would like to share their pics so we could all develop some ideas.

-------------------------------------------
    Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 2.  RE: Storage and Stations

Posted 05-26-2014 09:43
    We are in the middle of a shop makeover. I have pics I will post as soon as I figure out how to do that! Everything you will see was researched, designed and built by the kids. The tall boxy frame Looking thing is flat storage on wheels. The upright bins hold screws on one side and bolts and other large things, such as door hardware, on the other side. The tables are all on wheels and so are the bins that slide under for bulky storage. There is a lumber rack under the stairs. I'll post a finished slide show when we complete the project. I'm happy to share my lesson plans and ideas. Connie ------------------------------------------- Connie Voight Alabama Randolph School Huntsville AL -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Storage and Stations

Posted 05-27-2014 07:45
    Having taught costume design and construction for ten years, I can vouch for the fact that decent storage is a precious thing.  Some years ago, I purchased several rolling Z-racks from Sean James Enterprises -- these are sturdy beyond belief, and for a slight additional cost one can purchase T-bars (for each end of the racks) and zippered clear vinyl covers.  (I know, the ideal would be cloth covers, to allow for breathability, but a lot of our storage space is neither climate controlled nor particularly clean/varmint free, so one takes what one can get!)
    Sean James' racks are the best I have found.  Beware of low-price imitators for which covers are NOT available.
    For the rest of our stock, such as shoes, I have put everything on wheels whenever possible.  Don't be afraid to have a used-shoe rummage sale, if your budget permits.  (This applies to other costume items as well.)  If you have a good shoemaker nearby, repair character shoes rather than replace them; don't allow students to use stock shoes unless they wear thin socks or nylon knee-highs.  Take care of the good stuff you already have, and be sure your storage area LOCKS.  It's amazing how things can walk away...
    Good luck! 

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA