Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Senior honors question

Posted 05-21-2014 22:54
    I took over a program this year and have had a good year overall, many great things to celebrate. However, there have been those kids who who loved the old teacher and did not even try out or do anything throughout the year. I had a kid approach me tonight asking if she could get cords for graduation. She did almost all the shows in past years but this is the first time the kid has approached me all year. My question is, should she get cords or should cords be awarded for work carried through their senior years. ------------------------------------------- Alan Strait Teacher CCSD Henderson NV -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Senior honors question

Posted 05-22-2014 08:39
    Several of us have been in similar situations and we've been discussing on another thread.... check out "Underwhelming ITS Members".

Bottom line, you should abide by whatever constitution/bylaws are currently in place.  If there isn't clarity, use your best judgement for this year (will this set precedence for others to not participate and receive honors vs will this discourage others from participating) and then work to bring clear expectations to your Troupe's constitution in the future.

-------------------------------------------
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Senior honors question

Posted 05-22-2014 09:40
    I'm in a similar situation with having taken over a program and am doing exactly what Amy suggested.  This year I'm going off the (very vague) constitution and bylaws, then this summer I'll get together with the new officers and we'll go through and revamp things so it's more clear and does more to encourage participation all 4 years.  Of course, our kids aren't allowed to wear cords at this point, though I am fighting for that.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale, OR

• 4.  RE: Senior honors question

Posted 05-22-2014 17:22
    I would echo Laura and Amy's sentiments here and offer one piece of advice.  Talk to the students involved, bring in the parents on a phone call if you can-- get their take on things, talk with other teachers who may know the student(s).  It is also possible to make some clarifying statements to the troupe in general at your year end meeting--  such as -- "I am trying to honor the program of the past and build toward the future: to our graduating students we thank you for your service and honor the program we inherit; to future students, things will be different going forward.  Please talk to me if you have concerns, please work with me to make the greatest theater program possible."

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE:Senior honors question

Posted 05-23-2014 13:03
    As a student, I feel like to a certain extent it is really important to have some sort of involvement all the way through. Even if it is just to be fair to the other seniors that have worked all the way through and worked hard! It can even be simple things like coming to a troupe meeting or being involved some how. Do you have other seniors that have worked all the way through? If the bylaws are not extremely clear, I would maybe consider presenting your concern directly and honestly to the student, explain your thoughts and your dilemma and see how she responds? If she understands then that makes it easier, if not, maybe she could provide you with more solid reasons she feels that she should receive them. I also think that if there was a true reason she couldn't participate this year, for example her parents wouldn't let her, that would be a little different to. If she just chose not to, that is a totally different story! Hope you are able to figure something out! Best of luck!

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair
    Huntsville AL

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 6.  RE: Senior honors question

Posted 05-23-2014 06:33
    I agree with Amy. Follow your constitution and by-laws.

When I encounter a situation that is not directly addressed by the constitution and by-laws, I convene a meeting of the Thespian officers to discuss the issue and have them create a motion and conduct a vote for what would become policy that is in effect for just the current year.

If the officers like the policy and think it should be part of the by-laws, an amendment is prepared for a vote at the annual constitutional meeting in May.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools