Open Forum

View Only

Officer Elections

• 1.  Officer Elections

Posted 05-13-2014 08:56
    I'm hoping that some of you can let me know how you handle officer elections/appointments in your troupes.  Most of my officers are pushing hard to move away from open elections as they say it is just a popularity contest.  They want it to be appointed by me or by a student committee.  I'm not sold on either idea.  I already have the backlash from students and parents over casting for multiple shows each year.  I don't want to add backlash over officer selection to that as well.  Plus, my own daughter is in the program and that complicates things further as I am sure she will want to run for an office.  I bring someone else to sit in on auditions when she is auditioning to make it a bit more objective, but it's still always tough.  As far as a student committee, those that would be willing to serve on that are, for the most part, planning on running themselves.  

Currently, those that want to run fill out an application, I approve them or don't allow them to run based on that and then it is decided by a vote of the entire club.  

How do you handle elections/appointments?  Any ideas on how to eliminate the "popularity" factor without putting it all on my shoulders?  Or thoughts on any aspect of this?  Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Amy Bussey
    Stuarts Draft VA

• 2.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-13-2014 13:59
    A number of years ago I did away with the all troupe voting method and the hierarchy of Pres, V.P. etc...
    Now officers are determined through an application process that is discussed by my Production Team and graduating Senior Officers.  Students are very open about discussing who can and cannot lead when popularity is taken out of the equation and my kiddos take these conversations very seriously.  Ultimately, it is my decision as I am responsible for the successful running of the troupe, but I cannot remember a time when the review team wasn't in agreement.
    I also have an Officer Board - no titles, all equal power.  Each meeting has a few consistent agenda items - Attendance/Points, Announcements/Troupe Events or News, and Activities.  At the beginning of the year we look at all the meeting dates for the year and special events (BBQs, Holiday parties, Awards night, Coffee House) and evenly distribute jobs among the officers.  In the old format, everything always seemed to fall to (or be hogged by depending on the year) the President.  Now one officer takes the lead or "host" position and all the other officers have the responsibility for something different on the agenda.  The "host" position rotates each time.
    On the whole they have gotten much better at planning, working together and being creative since they aren't relying on the same one individual to lead the charge the entire year.  We have gotten much better games and activities, great guest speakers and wonderful special events.  The vast majority of the time I just show up - I don't have to plan anything, prepare anything or clean up anything.  It is truly student led!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-14-2014 17:59
    The position of President is applied for by letter and the committee hold interviews for those applicants.  The interview/decision making committee is made up of the seniors who are currently officers and me. If there are only a couple of seniors, I will ask the advisor of the Leadership class or of the choir or band club to help.  The treasure is appointed by me based on an application letter and interviews.  I usually allow the current treasurer to sit in on the interview but, ultimately, the decision is mine.  All other positions are voted on.  Students who are eligible to run have to submit a letter and these are posted in my room for several days so eligible voters can read them.  When I took the position of Theatre Arts director/advisor 20+ years ago, the kids and I decided on this method (based on the choir club constitution) and it has worked pretty well ever since.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 4.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-14-2014 07:36
    I've been trying to figure out a way to fix this as well. This year I had students fill out an application about why they wanted to run and their goals for the year four our Troupe. They had to attach a letter of recommendation and a grade report that included attendance from Infinite Campus. From those I selected the Troupe President and she and I appointed the rest of the officers based on the applications. So far we haven't had any complaints from students or parents. Honestly, she chose who she wanted to work with for the year based on who would do their job because she knew if they didn't it would be her doing the work alone. She chose people who would be responsible, committed, and dependable. Some of her best friends applied and she didn't choose them. I'm very proud of her and feel that this process worked well for us this year. ------------------------------------------- Ashley Stieber Arvada CO -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-14-2014 08:50
    At my school, it is a combination of voting and student input. 

We do not run for specific positions, we generally run for the board. Once all of the applications are in, my teacher posts everyone's name on a survey monkey and everyone votes for their top 5 candidates. 

From there, my troupe director sits down with the graduating seniors and uses the votes to aid their decision. Unless there is an extreme case, they normally go with the top 5. We have 6 positions so sometimes they will take the next one that was voted on, or sometimes they will add someone they think has a lot of potential or would be a good officer. Then, they assign positions once the board has been chosen. 

This keeps it from being a popularity contest, and gives our teacher somewhere to stand and some solid backing if anyone pulls the favorite card. It seems help. It doesn't by any means make the time after the officers are announced perfect, but it seems to help some! 

Best of Luck! 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair
    Huntsville AL

• 6.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-15-2014 07:39
    I have my students who are interested fill out an application.  I require that they participate in all shows and have at least one drama class the year they are an officer.  They have to have good grades and demonstrate appropriate behavior. The also must be on campus at least 1/2 day.  (We choose our officers in the spring for the next year.)
    After they've completed an application, they each interview with myself and the seniors who are currently officers.  I discuss with the senior officers and then we choose together. 
    It has been great so far.  We have done this for about 5 years and each year gets better.

Charity Moon Henry
    Lavonia GA

• 7.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-15-2014 07:50
    I send my troupe members an online nomination form via Google docs. Then, our current officers and I take a look at the nominees and have a troupe vote if necessary. It has worked amazingly well for the past two years as the outgoing officers seem to have a vested interest in leaving the troupe "in good hands". This year, the nominations were overwhelmingly clear, so we didn't have to go to a troupe vote.

You may also want to put whatever you decide into your Troupe bi-laws and cover how this works at the start of next year. My parents/students play-along well when the rules are stated clearly and firmly at the start of the year--but it takes time to figure out what works best for your troupe!

All the best!

Suzanne Livesay
    7-12 Grade Theatre Director
    The First Academy
    Orlando FL

• 8.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-15-2014 08:37

I have a strict criteria of you can apply for a leadership position. The amount of service you have done for the troupe, the number of Thespian points for each office, and a GPA requirement. This means you have be at a certain level to even apply for the office. Then the student must have three letters of recommendation two from teachers and one from someone outside the school who is not a relative. Often a family friend, religious leader, or employer.Turn in a resume and an application that requires three essay questions. The current offices not running for election interview each candidate. From that I and the outgoing senior officers (the president must be a senior) select those that will go on the ballot. This assures that whoever wins the election is dedicated, hardworking, and understands the service they will render to the troupe. Once the selection is done the ballot is put together, there is a meeting where each candidate must speak to the group for no more than three minutes about experience and what the following year's goals will be and then only Thespians in good standing that attend the meeting, vote. This creates enough layers that no one can really be mad at me or the officers that are leaving, but it requires a dedicated set of individuals to go through all that to be an officer. Plus, I am assured that all of those on the ballot are students that will work hard for the Troupe.
    Good Luck! Leslie
    Leslie Van Leishout
    Theater Education Coordinator
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
    Edwardsville IL

• 9.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-15-2014 08:48
    I have students vote for two potential officers.  The adult production staff (myself, choreographer/vocal director, costume designer, lighting designer, and scenic designer) may add a couple of names and then we have them interview for the "job" of officer.  The adults then "cast" the officers where we think they would be most successful.

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 10.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-14-2014 09:53
    We're holding our officer elections today.

We identify two groups at my school - the official Thespian troupe, which consists of inducted members who have earned the honor and paid their dues, and the Drama Club, which consists of all students who participate in our meetings, festivals, shows, etc. regardless of Thespian status.

We only allow inducted Thespians to serve as officers, but we allow all Drama Club members to vote for officers.

We need our officers to work at orientation days before school begins in August, so we elect our officers at the end of one school year to serve for the next year.  Our seniors don't vote in the officer elections.

We hold a meeting after school where each of our current officers describes the duties of his or her office and underlines the commitment that a student running for that office would have to make.  Then the officers take nominations from the floor for each of our offices.

About a week later, we hold a vote with a paper ballot.  Before that vote, an e-mail goes out to our club members urging them to consider carefully the responsibilities of a given office before voting for someone to hold that office.  We specifically ask them not to let this devolve into a popularity contest where everyone votes for their friends simply because of their friendship.

At our end-of-year dinner / awards / induction gathering, the current officers line up in front of the troupe.  Each is given an envelope enclosing the name of the person who will hold that office the following year.  One at a time, each officer opens his or her envelope and reveals his or her replacement, who comes up to stand beside the outgoing officer.

Most of our students take this very seriously, and virtually all of our officers over the years have worked hard and well in their positions.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher and Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 11.  RE:Officer Elections

Posted 05-14-2014 17:58
    The position of President is applied for by letter and the committee hold interviews for those applicants.  The interview/decision making committee is made up of the seniors who are currently officers and me. If there are only a couple of seniors, I will ask the advisor of the Leadership class or of the choir or band club to help.  The treasure is appointed by me based on an application letter and interviews.  I usually allow the current treasurer to sit in on the interview but, ultimately, the decision is mine.  All other positions are voted on.  Students who are eligible to run have to submit a letter and these are posted in my room for several days so eligible voters can read them.  When I took the position of Theatre Arts director/advisor 20+ years ago, the kids and I decided on this method (based on the choir club constitution) and it has worked pretty well ever since.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 12.  RE: Officer Elections

Posted 06-03-2014 15:00
    I'm a little late to this discussion but this could still be helpful for future considerations.

Our officer candidates complete a "PO (Potential Officer) project" which involves a form they complete explaining how he/she will organize and run the project.  It can be a fundraiser, a thespian event, or house manage a production--something that will demonstrate leadership skills.  A current officer is assigned to "shadow" a PO project so they can report back to the officer group how the candidate did on their project.

They all give speeches at a troupe meeting highlighting why they think they are qualified to be a leader to the troupe, and the whole troupe (inducted members) votes. This is an excellent time for them to reflect on their PO project publicly.  

The new officers and I get together during the summer to plan the year, and at that time we determine who will be holding what office.  One of my colleagues only has officers with no titles; my students say the title matters to them and they like having a role.  It is kindof my decision but it has always worked out that I have one person who has been an officer longer who becomes president, or none of the other students really wants to be president.  We have been able to designate titles with ease thus far.  I've preferred this method as to someone running for a specific office, per se, then not getting it and losing a great officer candidate completely.

This year, we also have amended our troupe constitution  that officers can have no "F's" and must have the same academic eligibility as our sports teams require, and an officer in academic ineligibility must step away from functioning as an officer until he/she brings grades up.  

Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ