Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play Production in a Class

Posted 05-12-2014 12:43
    I am currently teaching a class in which three groups are working on three different short plays. Each group has a lighting person, a set person, costume person, actors and a director. Each student is responsible for their area of the performance after learning about their area.  They do designs, create some aspect of their design, learn lines, etc.  I have daily progress reports which ask them to describe their progress and plan for the next day.  My biggest issue is keeping students on task. This is a required course so not everyone wants to be here.  I would love to hear how other's handle this type of classroom.

-------------------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE:Play Production in a Class

Posted 05-14-2014 09:05
    We tend to have this issue in our stagecraft class. It is not a required class, but many take it to get out of a basic theatre class, a choir class, or a band class. We have many that work very hard, even if they aren't theatre people but a lot that just wonder. Something that helps with some of the students for us is that we also have advanced students in our class. The advanced stagecraft students help the teacher and help lead projects. Sometimes having their peers encouraging them helps, other times, there are students that just don't want to be there. 

If you do not have advanced students in the class, maybe it could be a group grade if it is not already? That could potentially push some of the students in the group to encourage the ones who aren't working to pull their weight because it effects everyone's grade? I am not a huge fan of this, because sometimes there are people who just won't work, but it can work in some situations! 

Hope you find something that works! 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair
    Huntsville AL