Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ragtime

Posted 05-11-2014 14:56
    We are making our final decision on the musical for next year, and we have looked at "Ragtime" closely, but none of the directors  have any experience with the show, nor have we seen it live. We would appreciate any input on the show. We have a wonderful group coming back, great theatre, and have  lots of support. How did it go at your HS? What are your post - thoughts?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Phil Ridley
    Drama Director
    Dubai UAE

• 2.  RE:Ragtime

Posted 05-16-2014 15:07
    Hi Phil--

Ragtime was our spring musical at Wootton last year. It was a great show--soaring music, many wonderful characters and we used a mostly unit set (biggest challenge that I took on--we found a local Model T enthusiast that actually let us use the most beautiful restored car for the show). I chose it at least in part to help recruit some additional African American students into the program. That was such a success that we followed up with Hairspray this spring.

There are three versions that MTI Licenses and, based on our students at the time, the original Broadway worked best (they also have a School Edition and a 3rd version). I understand there are some clips of our show that made it's way to YouTube you could check out and I'd be happy to talk with you further as necessary.

Jessica

Jessica Speck
    Thomas S. Wootton HS
    Rockville MD