Open Forum

View Only

Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

• 1.  Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-06-2014 11:31
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: Student to Student and Open Forum .
    -------------------------------------------
    Hello all! My school is very interested in doing a drama for our fall play, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to share? I've found a few good ones, but they all only have about ten people in the cast. I'm definitely pushing for Our Town, but I'm sure there are even better ones that I haven't considered!

Thanks!!

Maison Kelly
    Dallas TX

• 2.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-07-2014 16:27
    Hi Maison! Just to clarify, what number of roles would you consider a medium sized cast? Around 20?

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-07-2014 19:51
    Anything about 15 or more!
    Maison Kelly
    Dallas TX

• 4.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-08-2014 10:08
    Hello, 

I look for plays that include about 10 cast members.  I wondered if anyone knows of any that I should look at.  Thanks so much.  

Kim Schor
    Branson CO

• 5.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-09-2014 08:10
    Hello,

If you are looking for a really serious play, I did one a few years ago that touched all of the kids involved as well as our audience.  It is called Auschwitz Lullaby.  It is written by James C. Wall.  Licensing is available from Dramatic Publishing.  I used the large cast manuscript version, but there is another, slightly smaller cast version as well.

The script follows a Jewish doctor who is forced to work for Mengele and some of the things he has to do.  I also gives us glimpses into the lives of some of the prisoners, some of the workers, and some of the guards in the camp.  

Let me know if you like it and we can discuss some of the other things we did to bring it to life.

Good luck!

Cyndi LeDoux
    Maryland
    Waldorf MD

• 6.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-10-2014 16:56
    We are doing Nickel And Dime this year. Can use various size cast . ------------------------------------------- Phillip Rayher Director, Theatre Dept. Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts San Francisco CA -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-09-2014 09:14
    Recently we've been doing much larger cast shows, but we had good luck with Fools and Rumors, both by Neil Simon, The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 by John Bishop, and Smash, by Jeffrey Hatcher.

A long time ago I did "The Desk Set" with 12 students and it was great fun. I think the play is even better than the Hepburn/Tracy movie -- great role for a leading actress, in particular.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 8.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-08-2014 12:55
    What about The Crucible, cast of 20 or a Shakespeare? Romeo & Juliet? Some of the murder mysteries have bigger casts, too. I'm not much help as most of the drama's we have done have casts of 12 or less.

Connie Voight
    Alabama
    Randolph School
    Huntsville AL

• 9.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-09-2014 09:09
    We had good luck with both Radium Girls and The Laramie Project.

If you would be open to a quirky play that has a lot of stuff about math (but also about lots of other stuff), I directed "The Five Hysterical Girls Theorem" and loved it. Probably one of my favorite scripts to work on.

Mary Zimmerman's The Arabian Nights was a huge challenge, but probably one of our most popular shows. Similarly, The Good Woman of Setzuan was a big undertaking, but very rewarding. For both plays I had students who wrote original music to set the songs in the text -- they aren't musicals, but both have songs.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 10.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-09-2014 10:42
    Try Shakespeare....update it...many roles can then be switched to women. A few years ago we did a post apocalyptic version of Macbeth. this worked great for changing gender roles. Our Town is a good stand by....did it this past fall. 

Damian Grzeskowiak
    Marcus Whitman High School
    Rushville,  NY

• 11.  RE:Dramatic Plays, Medium-Sized Cast?

Posted 05-10-2014 11:16
    Up the Down Staircase was a favorite. Our Town is a classic. 

Lisa Giovannetti
    Teacher
    Garden Grove CA