Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ELL/Multicultural Middle and HS devising/prompt material

Posted 05-01-2014 13:46
    I am in need of inspirational devising material, e.g. folktales, stories, other,  for middle and high school kids that focus on cultural heritage and/or what it means to assimilate to a new culture and community. The participants will be Latin American as well as from French speaking African and Haitian communities. Their English language proficiency spans basic to pretty good. They are being divided into groups by age. My goal is to have them unpack a relevant, meaningful fiction/non-fiction story, identify themes that resonate with them and devise a short presentation for their families...all the while working on improving literacy skills. This will take place in the summer for 5 weeks, for 45 minutes, 4 times a week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    -------------------------------------------
    Ann Gallo
    Sudbury MA

• 2.  RE:ELL/Multicultural Middle and HS devising/prompt material

Posted 05-02-2014 10:12
    Hi:
    I did a similar project with my El/newcomer 8th grade students and used the novel Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman.  Lots of good short vignettes in there about immigration in and the building of a community garden. Some very good source material.

Richard Silberg
    Berkeley CA