Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Get Smart script from Dramatic Publishing

Posted 04-30-2014 11:18
    I am very interested in directing Get Smart next year, but the play description says I need 27 cast members. Has anyone directed this? Is it possible to have some of the actors play multiple roles? The cast list at the beginning of the play seems to have many, many small roles that may only appear once. I have only read the short excerpt online and the reviews - but there is no way I would have 27 actors at my small high school. (I have a boy who would be great as Maxwell Smart, so I am ok there!)

-------------------------------------------
    Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN

• 2.  RE:Get Smart script from Dramatic Publishing

Posted 05-01-2014 08:42
    Ann,

We did this show a few years ago.  There were many parts that we were able to double...College kids/Blondes, etc.  We also asked a few faculty members to perform in minor walk on/through roles. 

It was a fun script and we used wagon sets for the different locations.

Dawn Tucker
    Jonesboro AR

• 3.  RE:Get Smart script from Dramatic Publishing

Posted 05-02-2014 15:31
    We did Get Smart as our fall show.  Lots of fun!  You could definitely use doubling to bring down the cast a tad.   You could also potentionally combine characters- four blondes could maybe become two blondes, and the Wong girls could be fewer as well.

I think you'll like it, and it attracts audiences as well.

We used a unit set and just brought on props to indicate different locations.

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE