Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  sound license

Posted 04-28-2014 08:39
    Does anyone have a license to 'play music' before the show, at intermission, etc.  I have heard of these kinds of licenses, but have not been able to track it down. I have heard that these licenses, or something similar will allow you to 'perform' songs at showcases, etc.

This might be an area the EdTA could help with. When I have looked into it in the past, I have found very involved legal jargon that I couldn't work through.  I'm going to guess very few schools have these kinds of licenses. 

-------------------------------------------
    Mark Zortman
    Central York High School
    PA Chapter Director
    York, PA

• 2.  RE:sound license

Posted 04-29-2014 06:41
    ASCAP and BMI issue such licenses.  They cover the playing of recorded music before and after the show and during intermission, and cover the royalties for the music in their portfolios.  The cost depends on number of shows and size of the house or typical size of audience, but it is relatively inexpensive.  I imagine they also license for live performance of songs in their books, but I don't really know how this is handled.

Jeanne Johnston
    Christiansted VI

• 3.  RE:sound license

Posted 04-29-2014 12:44
    You mig check with your district. Ours has a standard ASCAP and BMI licenses so that our choirs can perform all those works. As it is a blanket license, it covers us for preshow or intermission music. ------------------------------------------- Jason Coats Kansas City MO -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE:sound license

Posted 05-01-2014 02:30
    I'm not familiar with that kind of license, but it seems an ASCAP or BMI license for choir performances could cover only your school choir's public performances of copyrighted music, but your school choir might need additional permission to record that music, and then use that music in a play.  If your school has a blanket license for pre-show and intermission music, that is fantastic.

Also, you could easily run into copyright issues by using an artist's recording of a particular song.  Having permission for choir students to perform a copyrighted song is not the same thing as using a commercial recording of the same song.  

Even public domain music can be tricky.  If your orchestra records a piece of classical music that is public domain, that is one thing.  But if you use the XYZ Symphony recording of the same music, the recording of that performance is the intellectual property of the XYZ Symphony.

The safe way to go about this is to contact ASCAP, BMI, or the publisher of music, and ask about using it.  Oftentimes, publishers will be very gracious about letting schools use music for productions.

One last thing.  From what I have been told by very reliable sources, "Fair Use" only
    applies to classroom projects, and NOT to any kind of performance, whether admission is charged or not.   

Bob Fowler
    Chesterfield MO

• 5.  RE:sound license

Posted 05-02-2014 08:54

I went looking in 2000 and 2011 for this information.  After numerous phone calls, I finally got a BMI representative to say the following which I fired off in an email to the assistant superintendent. 

2011:  "Just got off the phone with BMI.  They do not require k - 12 to license.  They also said ASCAP and SESAC don't really require k - 12 license either."

and I still have the email from 2000 (Yes, I have a 14 year old email on file. :-) ) from ASCAP that reads:

2000:  "A question.  Do k-12 schools need some kind of blanket ASCAP license to play music for cheerleaders, pre-show of drama productions, at football games, etc.?
    Thank you.
    William Myatt

Thank you for your email.  ASCAP does not normally license music uses occurring at k-12 educational institutions.
    Best wishes,
    Bob Leibholz
    Manager, Symphonic and Educational Licensing"

Hope that helps!
    Bill

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]