Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  prop newspapers

Posted 04-27-2014 21:49
    I'm a week away from dress rehearsals and my prop master has failed to come up with a prop newspapers.  Anyone have a brilliant idea on how to make these for a production?  We are doing Curtains the musical and we need the Boston Globe, The Christian Science Monitor, and two others that I am not thinking of at the moment.  I noticed that there are some websites that actually make them but I think that might be too late for that.  And that would be expensive probably. 
    Arg!  help! 
    thanks

-------------------------------------------
    Hannah Barnes
    Morgantown WV

• 2.  RE:prop newspapers

Posted 04-28-2014 08:05
    Distance to the front row matters, of course.

The fastest and simplest option is to use regular local daily papers, carefully choosing the outside part that shows to be without color, because that's the biggest change in newspaper design since that time period. 

An intermediate option is to use an in-school printer that can make 11 x 17 pages, use a computer to create your newspaper sheets, print and assemble them (they would be on white paper, not newsprint.  Put together pages with tape.

The next expensive option is to create the dummy pages on the computer and find an outside place (example, a local print shop or within an office supply store) to print on large paper... maybe even newsprint.

Remember these props get torn up every performance or rehearsal of that song, so do some math as you get these props.

We did the simple and cheap option.  No one in the audience is close enough to read the page in our theater.

Nathan Rosen
    Baltimore MD

• 3.  RE:prop newspapers

Posted 04-28-2014 08:47
    Print the appropriate masthead.
    Glue onto correct looking pages from modern papers.
    Lightly dust antique walnut or golden oak spray stain over the entire thing.

Just did the above for an Agatha Christie play, worked well.
    Hope that helps.

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 4.  RE:prop newspapers

Posted 04-28-2014 10:47
    We have had to do this a couple of times, most recently for "Thoroughly Modern Millie".  In part it depends on how believable they need to be, how much of it is seen, how close to the audience, etc.  For example, you will have a different product if it has to open and pages turn on stage during a scene than if all that happens if the newspaper is held up to see a headline.  

Basically, we have set up our own newspaper covers and pages in Microsoft Publisher.  Certainly other programs can work, also.  Headlines are easy, and pictures can either be those you take yourself or copyright-free images found online. The internal text of articles usually is just a bunch of gibberish.  I've even taken old essays and just cut and pasted them in to fill it out.  We usually size the paper  to fit 11X17 paper.

After the pages are laid out, you need to print out each page individually.  At this point, if it is important that pages can turn without being too stiff or bulky, I have used a local print shop with a large scale printer to print it for me on larger paper.  If that is not important, we do it ourselves in house.  Basically, you create a newspaper sandwich with a sheet or two of paper laid across where the seams between the pages are and glue the whole thing together.  So, side by side front and back on the bottom facing out, then a layer of glue and the internal stabilizing paper, then more glue and the inside pages side by side facing out.  With the layers of paper holding it together, it usually reads as thick enough for a daily edition without any more internal pages.  If you need a Sunday edition, you would have to add more.  Also, remember to make multiple copies to get you through your entire tech rehearsal and performance period.  

I hope that's understandable and helps.  Good luck on your production!

Amy Bussey
    Stuarts Draft VA

• 5.  RE:prop newspapers

Posted 04-28-2014 20:06
    Have you tried your local library?  They might have something or a header you can copy and spray mount on a local paper.

Bob Sedoff
    Board member Mn chapter EdTA
    Sedoff, Inc.
    Edina MN

• 6.  RE:prop newspapers

Posted 04-29-2014 13:49
    This is fairly easy and not so expensive. I use the newspaper format in Microsoft Publisher. I past in the paper's flag from the internet and add pictures and dummy stories. I do just the out side if that is all that is seen. Put it on a flash drive and take to Kinkos or Walgreens. Have it made into poster size. It may not be the perfect size, but it does the trick and can be done for under $40 depending on color and where you go. Kinkos will do an educator's discount as well. I would make an extra in case one gets damaged.

Susan

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 7.  RE:prop newspapers

Posted 04-29-2014 17:06
    We just did Curtains.  Check with your journalism department.  Ours had many different newspapers that they were recycling.  The New York Times had some good pages.  We weren't concerned with headlines, just looking for pages without color or obvious references to modern day.  The classifieds used to work well.  Set your prop crew to gathering and sorting through them.

Cindy

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA