Open Forum

View Only

Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

• 1.  Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-25-2014 23:44

As the subject line indicates, I am in need of titles of musicals which may be performed in a Catholic high school with many more women than men (sometimes 4 to 1) auditioning. Also, my men, for the most part, are not strong singers/dancers.  They operate without fear but would be the first to tell you they are not dancers. Additionally, I do not have a place to build or store sets and while my administration has never said I need to make money on my productions, the producer in me likes making a profit or, at the very least, not being too far in the red. 

Also, the cast needs to be between 15 and 30.  While a show like Nunsense would be a crowd pleaser, my administration would never go for a show with such a small cast.

Please do not suggest (as many have via Facebook) Joseph...Dreamcoat, JC Superstar.  

Some recent musicals we have done:

Godspell                                                                                                                                                                           Guys & Dolls                                                                                                                                                                     Little Shop of Horrors (I was as surprised as some of you when this was approved)

Bye Bye Birdie
    South Pacific
    (male faculty members had to step in as sailors, a practice now frowned on by others)
    Cinderella
    Grease (school edition)
    Return to the Forbidden Planet
    Annie
    You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

I thank you in advance and wish you all the best,

-------------------------------------------
    Jerry Seeger
    Plantation FL

• 2.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-26-2014 09:45
    You could try Seussical--JoJo can be played by a girl very easily, as can the Cat. Also, some of the musicals at Pioneer and Eldridge, while not well known, have a lot more female roles and roles that can be gender-neutral. "We the People" has a musical version. "Honk: is also possible. And there are reviews that can fit the bill as well.

Leslie Weinstein
    Monongahela PA

• 3.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-27-2014 09:55
    Have you ever considered WONDERFUL TOWN? Female heavy, cute story and great score! ------------------------------------------- Garry Tiller Performing Arts Department Chair Baltimore County Public Schools Baltimore MD -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-27-2014 14:35
    Hi Jerry,

Have you looked at No, No, Nannette?  I believe it has 7 female principals/featured roles with solo numbers and only 3 male.  It's a big, fluffy, tap-dancing comedy, and a production could certainly feature dance and costumes rather than set pieces.  It will also please the silver-haired donors in the congregation...Tea for Two!

Benjamin Stuart
    Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher
    Seattle Public Schools
    Seattle WA

• 5.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-28-2014 15:57
    Moby Dick, the Musical! was fantastic for us!

Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 6.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-28-2014 15:35
    How 'bout Spring Awakening? The set is very simple and there are parts for girls!
    Mark Haynes
    Teacher/Drama Director
    Saint Anthony School
    Fort Lauderdale FL

• 7.  Catholic Girls school shows

Posted 04-27-2014 07:17
    If you have not yet done Beauty and the Beast -- now is the time! It will please the kids, administration and parents. The meet and greet after the shows can be adorable! Tickets will fly and your program will be bathed in good will. Don't stress too much about the transformation. If your program is advanced go for it in a big way.--but if you are a typical high school theater, throw in some fog, flash colored lights add a few sparkling magical sprite dancers for distraction and call it done. The rest of the show is actually fairly easy to produce. Don't be too afraid of spending on costumes, because lots of families with small kids will come who generally don't attend your show. All of the chorus can be girls. Only Beast, Lumiere, Gaston, Cogsworth, and the Dad need to be guys'll maybe Le Fou too. ------------------------------------------- Maggie Ward Columbia MD -------------------------------------------

• 8.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-29-2014 08:40

I would go with the classic Cinderella girls seem to love that story and they try to be just like her

James Beck
    Hope Mills NC

• 9.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-30-2014 08:28
    We just did Thouroughly modern millie which has tons of girls.  Great show!!

Lisa Moody
    Brentwood TN

• 10.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-30-2014 17:16
    I like Jullian Thompson's The Warrior's Husband, a funny play about the war between the Theseus & Hippolyta. It was Katherine Hepburn's first Broadway show. Sam French carries it.

Billy Houck
    Sunnyvale CA

• 11.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 04-29-2014 12:23
    I teach in an all girls Catholic School.  

We have done: Thoroughly Modern Millie, Anything Goes, Once Upon A Mattress and The Wizard of Oz

I cast women in men's roles regularly. If there isn't a love interest involved with the male role I consider it as being played by a female.  You can easily do The Wizard of Oz with all females.  Once Upon A Mattress is a great one too strong female lead and most of the knights can be played by girls.  My King was also a girl.  

Hope that helps!  

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 12.  RE:Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 05-01-2014 07:45
    Little Women is a large female cast with beautiful music. 

Music Man could be done with few men (the quartet could be played by women - I've heard of this being done) I had girls playing "boys" and I had a female Winthrop when I did it. 

Quilters is another good one.

9 to 5

Cowgirls is a cute show

The Sound of Music has very few male leads. 

Anne of Green Gables

42nd Street

Annie

Fiddler on the Roof

Crazy for You

Glenn Morehouse Olson
    Theater Teacher, Director
    St. Francis MN

• 13.  RE: Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 10-10-2015 02:03

Hi Jerry -- We're an all-girls Catholic school and we just closed a great run of Peter Pan -- because it's a musical, all of the "young boys" are actually girls for singing purposes, but the pirates and the dad can be men.

We also did Aida recently which is fairly girl-heavy, and we're doing Sound of Music in the spring.
    ------------------------------
    Sarah Kane
    Director of Theatre Productions
    San Jose CA

• 14.  RE: Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 10-11-2015 05:42
    Leader of the Pack - Ellie Greenwich musical
    Cinderella

Sent from my iPad

• 15.  RE: Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 10-11-2015 07:21

Hi Jerry...  There is a musical called MOBY DICK THE MUSICAL which has the premise of being a production of Moby Dick as staged by an all girls school. It is quite funny.  Or perhaps LITTLE WOMEN? 

Floyd Nash
    Pompano Beach FL

• 16.  RE: Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 10-11-2015 10:36

Have you thought about Nunsense? It's a fun show to put on & I believe the audience would get all the jokes. 

Brigitte Becker
    Sugar Land TX

• 17.  RE: Selecting a musical for a Catholic high school with many more women than men

Posted 10-13-2015 13:47

Quilters!!

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR