Open Forum

View Only

Graduation Tassels

• 1.  Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-22-2014 15:35
    At my school, no one has ever been allowed to wear their Thespian Honor Chords at graduation. My theatre teacher has asked for years to have this changed, and a couple of students have asked, but they are always denied. 

Our graduation is outside, but everyone gets ready inside and takes a class picture. I have been told by several alumni that if you get caught with your honor chords on before you walk out the door to the ceremony, that they will be taken. Once you walk out, people have been known to pull their chords out from under their graduation gown. It is nice that the students can wear them in this way, but honestly, I want to wear my honor chords out throughout the whole experience. 

I recently talked to my principal about this and he had a meeting with some others. I met with him again today and he told me that they will not change this policy and that they do not want us to wear them. 

Does anyone else have this issue? Are you allowed to wear them at your school? 

-------------------------------------------
    Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair
    Huntsville AL

• 2.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-22-2014 16:17
    That's awful. My kids wear their honors with pride at graduation. I had to talk to my principal about it when I first arrived at the school. I pointed out that these kids EARN these honors in an international honor society. Does he allow the kids in NHS to walk with their honors? How is this any different?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-22-2014 17:13
    The graduates at my school wear as many honor cords as they can get. They are symbols of achievement and should be displayed to show off the countless hours put into each organization.

Alex Minton
    Omaha NE

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-23-2014 08:03
    Katie -- If your school is anything like my school, the only way to get this changed is through parent involvement. If enough parents complain they are more likely to change the policy.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 5.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-23-2014 06:32
    At our school, our graduates wear whatever they earn, including Thespian. I'm with the others: If there are ANY honor cords of ANY kind worn by ANY of your graduates, then theatre is being discriminated against. 

If the school allows nor cords of ay kind, then you really don't have a leg to stand on.

I would love to know: What'a the logic behind the policy?

Scott
    Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 6.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-25-2014 07:52
    The only cord allowed at our graduation are NHS, Forensics, and Thespians. I believe this year a couple other groups have gotten this together. We did have to attach a GPA to this privilege and I don't disagree. Graduation honors should show academic strength as well as strength in other areas. So we use the blue and gold braided cords which show scholarly honors as well as thespian honors. No one has ever complained. All our students wear their cords from the time they get to the venue. All pictures show cords. ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck Lakewood CO -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-23-2014 08:37
    After years of allowing our students to wear their Honor Cords, our principle decided a few years back that he wouldn't allow them any longer. I was immediately in his office with documentation that this is an International HONOR society. He relented and we haven't had a problem since. My problem this year are 2 seniors who dropped out of our musical because they didn't get the roles they wanted. They have also been talking badly about our program. Needless to say, not upholding the standards of being a Thespian. Do I allow them to have honor cords for graduation? They were great theater kids up till this year. Do I let them know that they will not be getting a cord - or just not order one for them? I hate it when kids make poor choices!

Suzanne Smith
    Temperance MI

• 8.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 05-01-2014 22:13
    I had the same issue several years ago.  I did not award cords to a less than honorable senior.  She showed up at graduation with cords that she somehow got ahold of herself, sauntered up to me and twirled them in my face.  Now, I have a very clear policy in my Troupe Handbook that my students have to be currently active Thespians in good standing in order to receive any awards at the end of the year. 

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 9.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-23-2014 08:51
    I have not experienced this first hand personally since taking over our troupe, but at our school only the white cords for honor graduates and Beta club stoles are allowed to be worn throughout the graduation ceremony. It seems a few years ago a student had a stole or cords for FFA, and allegedly, he was made to remove them before the class marched out. Basically, I was led to believe our school's stance is we can't open the door for these kids to have a ton of things around their necks representing all the different things they participate in. I am in a rural district where we have several students who try to do it all, so I can understand their point of view on the matter. However, I still wish the Thespians could wear their cords or stoles.

Jennifer Vernon
    Piggott, AR

• 10.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-24-2014 15:47
    At my school, thespians are not allowed to wear their tassels because the principal is concerned they will look too cluttered.  After reading all these posts about the tassel, I am motivated to try again.

Thank you,

Martha Baker
    Virginia Beach VA

• 11.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 04-24-2014 22:00
    After allowing the Honor Thespians at my school to wear cords for two years, it was cancelled on the third year just a month before graduation.  Parents were furious and they let the administration know how much this achievement meant to their students.  They were allowed to wear them that year but not since. 
    We got a new principal this year, however, and since he is the parent of a Thespian, he knows what this means.  So this year our Honor Thespians will wear white stoles.  The kids thought that the stoles were less gaudy than cords, even though the deal is that if they are also NHS members, then the NHS stole would go on top.  My kids don't care about that; they only care that their accomplishments in an Honor Society for Excellence in Educational Theatre are acknowledged.

Best of luck in getting this changed; I agree that parent participation may be the key.

Bonnie Wilson
    Scottsdale AZ

• 12.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 05-01-2014 18:20
    We fought for years to be able to wear anything at graduation that represented Thespian Society as we were denied even our pins.  Then, we got a new principal and he allowed all of our academies to get different colored cords.  My seniors with high enough GPAs (had to be 3.0 or higher) got to wear the cords for the first time last year.  Then, we got a new principal again this year and he wants to do away with them (not just us, all of them except Honor Society).  He's allowing us to wear them this year but wants them stopped for next year.  The kids and parents are all up in arms and many phone calls have already been made.  It's not over by any means, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one fighting this battle.  It's sad that thespians are not recognized the way other organizations are.

Kendra Blazi
    Edgewater FL

• 13.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 05-02-2014 06:21
    Katie,
    I am so sorry that you all are not allowed to wear a stole or tassel recognizing your contributions to ITF.  My students are allowed.  Actually, only five organizations have them for our school and I am pleased the Thespians is one of them. 

I do have a rule that a senior must be an active, & honorable, participant through the entire final semester of their senior year in order to wear a stole.  So, students who drop out of theatre and/or don't participate in any manner the 2nd semester of their senior year will not be allowed to wear a stole.  I've only had one dispute in my entire career over this.

At my first school, in Georgia, I was actually allowed to place the Thespian seal on each student's diploma.  I miss doing that! 

Thinking of you, Katie!!
    CG

Carolyn Greer
    Kentucky Thespian Society
    Owensboro High School

• 14.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 05-02-2014 10:52
     When I first became aware of Thespian honor cords, I naturally wanted my students to have them and wear them.  Since I teach at an academic magnet school that typically loves to emphasize students' awards, honors and achievements, I thought it would be an easy "sell" to my administration.

I was surprised that my principal at the time refused my initial request, so I made an appointment to see him.  At that meeting, I essentially did with him what we do when we initially set up any student's Thespian record, which includes a thorough explanation of everything the student must do to earn membership.  My principal's eyes were a little glazed over by the time I finished, as he had finally realized that what he had thought of as a special-interest club was, in fact, an honor society where membership had to be earned through a great deal of excellent, honorable effort.

He immediately agreed to let Thespians wear cords at graduation, and no subsequent principal has altered that policy.

Incidentally, some of my school's students have so many different honor cords to wear at graduation that we also use a number code in the printed program to designate which honors a student has earned.  A 1 next to a student's name in the program might designate a member of the National Honor Society, a 2 might indicate a candidate for an International Baccalaureate diploma, a 3 might indicate a member of Mu Alpha Theta (a math honor society), and so on.  I forget what number represents ITS, but we've got one - which is more than you can say for the band, the soccer team, or the anime club!

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 15.  RE:Graduation Tassels

Posted 05-05-2014 11:34
    Thank you guys for all of your answers!! 

Parent involvement is our next route. Thought I do not believe at this point we will be able to get it changed for this year, I would love for those behind me to have this opportunity! 

For those that asked, the school's reasoning behind it is that they believe everyone should be a whole on graduation day, we should be equal. Adding tassels and cords into this makes us not equal and one group. Also, they do not believe there are enough groups on campus that have cords so it would make it unfair to others. 

My thoughts against that argument are that A- if we are allowed to wear NHS tassels, everyone is no longer looking the same. B- Other organizations on campus do have to opportunity to buy them, they just choose not to. This, we cannot control. 

Thank you again for everyone's input! 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair
    Huntsville AL