Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Trips to London

Posted 04-09-2014 09:17
    I'm a new drama teacher in my first year. I'm thinking about starting to plan a trip overseas for workshops and possibly to present theater. I'm aware of the Edinburgh program, but was wondering other companies you have had good experiences with.

I appreciate your help!

Best,

-------------------------------------------
    Morganne Davies
    JEB Stuart High School
    Falls Church, VA

• 2.  RE:Trips to London

Posted 04-11-2014 14:40
    Hi Morganne! There are a few different international options in the Summer Theatre Directory to explore, that should at least give you a place to start your research. To access it, open the current issue of Dramatics online.

The first button on the tool bar is a yellow file that will give you access to the archives:

You'll want to select the February 2014 issue and turn to page 50.
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE:Trips to London

Posted 04-15-2014 08:16
    I just traveled to London in March with 21 students. We used EF Tours. We were there for 6 days but did not perform. We toured several theaters, did a workshop at the Globe, visited Stratford, and saw a number of productions, in addition to doing some more general sightseeing. The hotel was decent and the arrangements for dinners were good as well. My only real complaint was that the shows initially offered were things currently running in NYC or recent Broadway fare. We are located just an hour outside the city, so it seemed silly to take students across the ocean to see Jersey Boys when we could just cross the Hudson River for that show. But, EF worked with me to customize the shows and we came up with alternatives. Overall it was a good trip. Hope this is helpful. ------------------------------------------- Susan Speidel Chairman of the Performing Arts Department Morristown-Beard School Springfield NJ -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE:Trips to London

Posted 04-20-2014 19:32
    International travel is a wonderful.  I just returned this weekend from a 9 day London trip with EF Tours.  The trip was called curtain time in London and as the other person said it has lots of great educational links.  The workshops and tours were wonderful.  It is an economical way for many students to travel, but as such you need to be clear with things that you want (such as show titles).  This was the second time I did this trip.  I am working on planning a Greece one for next spring break.  Good luck with your planning, the key is to start early because many of the tour companies (EF included) will give great discounts the earlier your students enroll.  Oh, and check with your school system to see if they have any policy about international travel.  Some do, some don't.  Just make sure you are following all the protocol for your area.  

Steven Fleming
    Howard County Public School System