Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Full length plays for middle school

Posted 04-09-2014 08:42
    I've read through the earlier thread about one act plays, which had so many excellent suggestions ... so now I'm hoping for as many strong suggestions for full length plays for middle school. 

We produce one straight play, one musical and one one-act each year.  The straight play needs to accommodate anywhere between 12 and 30 actors.  We do not make any cuts, so flexible/expandable casting is essential.  A handful (4-6) may be boys, but the majority will be girls. We are considering both comedies and more serious plays.  Preferably not fairy tales or plays about bullying (unless they are really original). 

I would be very interested to hear about any plays from other cultures, but any middle school suitable suggestions are most welcome!

Past productions have included (all Dramatic Publishing):
    To See the Stars
    Romeo & Juliet Together (and Alive!) at Last
    The Rememberer
    The Hound of the Baskervilles:  A Comic Thriller Starring Shirley Holmes and Jennie Watson
    Charlotte's Web

-------------------------------------------
    Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools

• 2.  RE:Full length plays for middle school

Posted 04-14-2014 10:20
    Great to hear this question Kristin.

My partner, Clifford Carlson and I have spent the past 16 years developing and performing musicals for middle schoolers to meet the needs you describe and have had over 75 performances in 13 states and 4 countries.  Our shows feature multiple strong parts for girls and engaging stories for the age group that are not watered down in any kind of way. The shows have flexible casts and have been performed by 12-50 extremely enthusiastic cast members.   They are licensed by Theatrical Rights Worldwide (www.theatricalrights.com) You can learn more at www.thejazzdramaprogram.org.

Nora's Ark, the jazz musical by Eli Yamin and Clifford Carslon

Nora, a scientist, predicts the melting of the poles and the flooding of the Earth. Rescuing the animals at the Bronx Zoo, Nora and her daughters, Dora, Flora, Lora and Fitzi rent a cruise ship. It seems all are saved, except that daughter Fitzi forgets to bring food. Predators look on their fellow passengers as prey. All animals discover that freedom is a greater sustaining force than food and all ultimately cooperate in finding an edible solution.

Holding the Torch For Liberty by Eli Yamin and Clifford Carlson

Holding the Torch for Liberty, tells the story of the culmination of the women's suffrage movement in the United States, circa 1920. Through ragtime, classic blues, New Orleans and Cuban infused original music, Holding the Torch for Liberty traces how courageous working women joined forces to fight for and win final passage of the 19thAmendment. Combining actual historical events with magical realism, the Statue of Liberty comes to life, goes dancing in a Harlem nightclub, and later meets a determined group of suffragists. Ms. Liberty's torch becomes a window to the future, as the roles for women in the country grow- women doctors, lawyers, engineers and even the president. With the country openly divided, a lone congressman from Tennessee gets an inspirational letter from his mother reminding him that standing up for justice and doing what is right comes easily when you follow your heart.

Eli Yamin
    Artistic Director
    The Jazz Drama Program
    New York NY