Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tallying Ballots for "Tony" Awards

Posted 04-08-2014 11:46

We do an end of the year "Tony" Awards in our theatre department for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, etc.  Each student puts a rating of 1 to 5 beside each actor's performance in each category.  Because I want the results to remain secretive I have hand tallied the scores for each actor who earned a 4 or 5, created a final ballot that was whittled down to 5 students per category and tallied the final ballots.  There has to be an easier process!  I'm aware of Survey Monkey, but have never used it and I believe Google has a survey, but what would best serve our purposes and alleviate the extra work for me? Thanks for any help you can provide.

-------------------------------------------
    Angela Tomaselli
    Dayton Board of Education

• 2.  RE:Tallying Ballots for "Tony" Awards

Posted 04-08-2014 22:09
    We do the same thing. For each season, I type up a ballot, but I do it differently. I list Best Lead actor and then under it I write the lead actors for that show. Same for all the rest of the categories. Kids just circle who they want. Makes it easier to tally and then everyone is included. I just used a survey website for NJ for people to give their opinions about our festival. I'll look up the name and get back to you. Site was awesome: free, unlimited questions, easy, and a variety of types of questions.

Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE:Tallying Ballots for "Tony" Awards

Posted 04-09-2014 07:59
    Do you have a Quia account set up for your classroom? This is an online resource for quizzes and whatnot. Last year I put my ballot on Quia and it did all the tallying for me! You will have to type in the category and then each actor's name as an option - but you have to do that for the ballot anyway. If you don't use Quia, but someone in your school does, they can help you figure it out. 

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director

• 4.  RE:Tallying Ballots for "Tony" Awards

Posted 04-10-2014 20:16
    We do voting during lunch for several days.  We divide the ballots roughly into thirds, then have two Thespians count each set, and they have to promise not to talk about their subtotals.  The three pairs of Thespians give me their tally sheets, then I combine the 3 tally sheets and print the certificates.  I am the only one who has the combined totals.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC