Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fundraising- Innovative Ideas?

Posted 07-19-2013 09:23
    Yesterday at the ITO workshop, we spoke in length about cool fundraising ideas. Of course, with organizations like Broadway Cares, we see a lot of "collect with a bucket" drives. What do you do (or would like to do) to generate revenue for any organization in a fresh and innovative way?

-------------------------------------------
    Alex Mitchell
    Outgoing ITO Communications Editor

• 2.  RE:Fundraising- Innovative Ideas?

Posted 07-19-2013 16:37
    I haven't tried it yet, but there's a very interesting new crowdsourcing site (similar in ways to indiegogo) that prints merchandise - but only if you hit your goal. It's called teespring (www.teespring.com).

Julie Congress
    New York State Chapter Co-Director

• 3.  RE:Fundraising- Innovative Ideas?

Posted 07-20-2013 10:47
    One fundraiser we do that also doubles as great community relations ( and supervision duty if your school likes that) is having a face painting booth at each of the home varsity football games. We charge 50 cents for a small design--Pom Pom, football, sword, yin yan, etc. and $2.00 for a full face of school colors. We have posters pre-made that have our prices and suggested designs. Those are laminated and I reuse each year. I have a plastic bin with signs, tape, paper towels, water cups, paint, brushes and the team roster (nice for "I want my cousin's number on my face" requests). The stadium stores a second hand table and chairs for us. ------------------------------------------- Irene Imboden Teacher, Drama Director Troy City Schools -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE:Fundraising- Innovative Ideas?

Posted 07-23-2013 11:43
    In Ohio we sell small, rubber ducks.  We buy a large variety from Oriental Trading.  The STOs put a little piece of paper with each duck listing the duck's name, date of birth, etc. and put the ducks in plain, brown paper bags.  We buy the ducks for 50 cents and sell them for $1 each.  The kids seem to like that they don't know which ducks they will get and they collect and trade them.  This past year we sold 4,000 ducks at our conference.  They are all gone by the second day.  The money goes toward our scholarships and our "send a troupe to State Conference" program.  The kids - AND teachers - look forward to this every year and we (no kidding) see some kids and adults spend as much as $100 on ducks.  Silly?  Yes.  Does it work?  YES!

Pat

Patricia J. Santanello
    Ohio Educational Theatre Association
    Co-Chapter Director
    Dublin Scioto High School
    psdirector2003@hotmail.com
    614.288.8786 614.718.8313
    Dublin, Ohio

• 5.  RE:Fundraising- Innovative Ideas?

Posted 07-25-2013 10:57
    In Alabama, we sell items at the STO table. Each year, the STO purchase different items based on the theme. This past year, we did "Once Upon a Stage." At our table, we sold tiaras, crowns, and foam swords along with various other things. These normally sell really well and whatever does not sell, is used the next year. 

Also, at our school we sell candy canes every year. For $1 anyone in the school can buy a candy cane to send. They get a small index card when they give us their dollar and they get to write a message. The whole troupe is involved in this. At the end, we attach all of the notes to candy canes and deliver them to homerooms the night before. This year I believe we raised around $530 dollars. (It has the potential to raise more with a larger school or community!) This money normally goes towards scholarships for ITF!
    Katie Siegel

• 6.  RE:Fundraising- Innovative Ideas?

Posted 07-25-2013 13:31
    I put a "Fundraising Ideas" document in the Library, it's something I send out when I receive inquiries via email.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association

• 7.  RE:Fundraising- Innovative Ideas?

Posted 07-27-2013 06:04
    In our troupe we have one classic go-to fundraiser we call The Egg Sale. The idea is to go door to door, ready to talk about the department. You tell them you will take a donation, or an egg. If they give an egg, then at the next house, you try to sell the egg. Nobody ever buys the egg, but it's a fun gimic that often opens up some wallets or at least provokes a laugh. A great way to spread info on the department, coming productions, and other developments in the thespian community.

The one our troupe stole from Danielle Feinstein and her fellow MO STO was a spin off the ol' money in a bucket technique, this one called Minute to Give It. This version is done in front of an audience at some sort of event. Here's how we adapted it for our small stage at school: At intermission or whatnot, two reps (we used actors) walk out on stage with buckets, before we dismiss the audience. They explain the rules, and what the money goes for. We split the room into two teams, and the reps were given a minute to dash from row to row in their half of the room. In that minute, the audience members are given the opportunity to donate whatever they wanted to their team's bucket. During intermission the buckets are counted, and then the winners are announced before the second act picks up. We're cheap, and didn't give any prizes, but just thanked them tons. Both buckets obviously end up in the same fund, but who doesn't love a little competition? This works best with a comedy or something fun where the audience is in a good mood at intermission. We gave it a shot, and in just two nights of this (two minutes total) we made nearly $300. And that's in a house of only 117! It's insane what people with give/ how much the little donations stack up.

Duncan Kinzie
    Region II Rep