Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Posted 04-07-2014 15:42
    I am interested in taking my theatre students to the 2015 Edinburgh Fringe Festival.  I would love it if we could take an original theatre piece and perform it there.  However, I really need some suggestions and advice as to how to go about this from the beginning.  Are high schools supposed to register for the American high school division?  Any information anyone can give me as to their experience would be helpful.  Thanks.

-------------------------------------------
    Molly Cornwell
    Hathaway Brown School

• 2.  RE:Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Posted 04-08-2014 08:57
    If you're interested in the American High School Theatre Festival at the Edinburgh Fringe festival go to www.ahstf.org

Faye Ryan
    Fine Arts Chair/Theatre Director

• 3.  RE:Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Posted 04-08-2014 16:48
    First, your program need to be recommended to the AHSTF - shouldn't be hard since you probably have contacts with college theater profs or other HS teachers that are in AHSTF.  AHSTF will send an application. It is fairly extensive, but once you are in you are invited to participate each year you can. 

Funding and fund raising can be daunting depending on your school and its policies.  But the experience is amazing.  The AHSTF organization has all arrangements down to a science and a extremely helpful.  If you want to participate in 2014, you are past their deadline; but you would be eligible for 2015.

Bonnie Banks

• 4.  RE:Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Posted 04-09-2014 08:22
    What an incredible experience this would be for your kids! Do what you can to go; as a performer in a production of 'Fiddler on the Roof' over 10 years ago, I can speak to my own experience as a (university) student participant in such a venture. The chance to see some amazing plays, experience the city of Edinburgh, and, if it's allowed, the Comedy festival events, are absolutely priceless. Your kids will bond for life on a trip like this. I am going to look into this myself for my own students, as it sounds like a chance in a lifetime!

Phillip Goodchild

• 5.  RE:Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Posted 04-09-2014 09:51
    We and applied and were accepted.  The downside is that it costs approximately $6500 per person.   They do offer advice on how to raise the money - but that IS a lot of money...

Darleen Totten