Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Academies

Posted 04-06-2014 08:37
    Our school does some academies.  There is talk of wall to wall academies in the future, but fine arts is not being addressed as one.  I feel like I am losing great students who are having their class schedule micro managed by academy leaders who want their program to flourish with the best.  So far, we have academies in Medical,Information Technology, Agricultural, Law and Engineering.  The band and choir do not seem interested in an academy. It seems like admin is interested in academies that easily roll over into a college career and business workforce future.  I think they see drama as fluff and not real world job worthy.  Does anyone have an academy idea involving drama that approaches it with a more business savvy appeal? 

Linda Button
    -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE:Academies

Posted 04-07-2014 10:38
    There is a school outside of Albuquerque New Mexico that has 4 schools in 4 distinct buildings.  The schools include Science, Math and Engineering, Fine and Applied Arts, Vocational Education, and Liberal Arts.  What's neat about the school is that each school has its own building around a central quad and they share some facilities such as the library, gym, etc.  But each school has it's own Vice Principal.

Michael Johnson

• 3.  RE:Academies

Posted 04-07-2014 19:52
    Did a little more research and found the school--- Rio Rancho High School in New Mexico. Their course of study guide outlines four academies or schools within schools.  

More information can be found at Rio Rancho Public Schools.net /Rio Rancho High School, Program of Studies

Interesting approach.  Visited there once, seemed like a very rewarding school.

I think if done correctly and for the right reasons, schools within schools can be very rewarding for everyone involved.

Michael Johnson