Open Forum

View Only

Content Worries

• 1.  Content Worries

Posted 04-06-2014 01:21
    I teach in a very conservative small town. We have had some issues with content of our shows in the past (CLUE:The Musical, Back to the 80's, The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940, Once Upon a Mattress-pregnancy out of wedlock). I'm needing recommendations for a large cast musical and a smaller cast play. Many of the students want to try Of Mice and Men for our play, but it worries me. Maybe a squeaky clean musical could counter-act the content? Thoughts?

Past shows include:
    CLUE: The Musical
    Disney's Beauty and the Beast
    Back to the 80's: The Totally Awesome Musical
    The Ant and the Grasshopper
    A Piece of My Heart
    Once Upon a Mattress
    The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940
    Oklahoma!

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Katherine Gibson

• 2.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-06-2014 13:53
    It is important to know your town and your administration.  I have a very supportive admin and they have agreed whole - heartedly with our productions of Grease and Les Mis but have refused to even consider Urinetown.  They cannot get past the title.

In your situation, I expect Of Mice and Men would be a tough one and, perhaps, not worth the fight when there are many other great choices.  Now, if you have a specific educational reason to tackle that show at this point in time, that is different.  If it is just a show that students would like to do, I would look at others they will likely also love being a part of.

A few we have done:

Peter Pan (by Piers Chater Robinson - a great musical version)

Mowgli and His Brothers - A Tale of The Jungle Book ( non-musical - written by my son and currently before publishers)

Anne of Green Gables (musical)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (by Dennis Foon)

The Diary of Anne Frank (the newer version of the script is fantastic - the old one, a little less risky)

Suessical the Musical

Best of Luck with your choices!

William Jacobsen

• 3.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-07-2014 06:56
    Can totally relate. Directing at a Christian school, I have to be VERY sensitive. I have a good administration, and they are willing to look at the larger picture. Here are the shows I've done in the past two years:

Curse of The Werewolf by Tim Kelly (Dramatic Publishing)-Farce, like a Scooby Doo cartoon come to life.

High School Confidential by Ahearn & Read (Dram. Pub)-Drama/comedy with music. Potentially MASSIVE cast.  Deals with some serious real world issues, but the authors allow editing. I edited a perusal copy, walked it through with the admin. At the end, I had parents thanking me for acknowledging the realities that our teens face. 

The Children's Story (Clavell, Dramatists)/Paper or Plastic? (Trieschmann, Dram. Pub)
    A night of one acts. TCS is a super serious, but it contains no harsh language, violence, innuendo, drinking, drug use, nothing. It may also be one the scariest shows ever written. Paper or Plastic? is a near-Pythonesque bit of absurdity.

Godspell (Schwartz, MTI)-Gospel of Matthew put to music.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director

• 4.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-07-2014 08:49
    I completely understand. Here are some Ideas:

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (Play)
    It's a Wonderful Life (Play) (Both From Dramatic Publishing)

Pride and Prejudice (Play)
    The Curious Savage (small cast play)

The Music Man
    Shrek The Musical
    The Wizard of OZ
    South Pacific, -believe it or not, even though there's the whole inter-racial angle, its such a classic, conservative audiences seem to gloss over that part.

Charles Miller

• 5.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-07-2014 08:56
    I totally understand, but, wow, A Piece of My Heart? That was actually the first show I did almost four years ago. The show is great, but there is plenty of objectionable content in that one... We had to edit the heck out of that show to make it performable.

I would say Of Mice and Men is a great choice and should be the "line" that you able to go up to, but not cross. My logic behind that statement is that novel is pretty much universally accepted as 9th grade reading, which is the age of your students at a minimum. Why should it be OK to read and not OK to perform? In fact, that novel IS my litmus test for plays at my school.

Again, I would say A Piece of My Heart is far worse in terms of content than Of Mice and Men and you have already done that.

I certainly think you can certainly balance the show with a wholesome musical... A season should be about balance... 

Grant Sinclair

• 6.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-07-2014 09:55
    They don't come more squeaky clean than "A Year with Frog and Toad" or "Honk!" Both are fun shows with expandable casts. In fact, you could probably use many of the same set pieces and decor for both if you did them in back-to-back years.

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association

• 7.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-07-2014 14:48
    We did Seussical and had a blast.  I don't know how much cleaner it could get!

Elizabeth Tuxill

• 8.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-08-2014 08:36
    Try The Curious Savage by John Patrick, Charlotte's Web by Joseph Robinette, or a series of one acts written and/or directed by your junior/senior Thespians for your smaller cast play. Break a leg! :)

Carolyn Kovar

• 9.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-09-2014 11:16
    Musicals don't get much cleaner than A Year With Frog and Toad.

Grover Smittle

• 10.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-09-2014 12:18
    We are in a fairly conservative community as well, and here's what's worked for us. We've done Back to the '80's, South Pacific, Seussical, the school version of Grease (all the fun the parents remember without any of the controversial material that's in the play or movie), Bye Bye Birdie, and Honk. For plays, Comedy of Errors, The Ash Girl ("Cinderella" confronts the 7 Deadly Sins en route to being reunited with her prince), Radium Girls, A Midsummer Night's Dream, And Then They Came For Me, and The Importance of Being Earnest. Our Intermediate/Advanced class has also done This is aTest, The Boor, 12 Angry Jurors, 10 by 10, 1984 (adapted from a 1957 BBC teleplay), and a collection of plays from 35 in 10 (many of the plays were inappropriate for us, so I recommend reading all of them yourself before letting students read them). Hope that helps. ------------------------------------------- Jarrod Townsend -------------------------------------------

• 11.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-10-2014 09:55
    One of our local high school theatre teachers wanted to revive a barely alive theatre program. The school had received some bad press because of complaints by a couple over the play title "Ten Little Indians". Even after renaming the show to "And Then There Were None", the media had tasted blood...

A year later, the teacher selected "High School Musical" for the annual musical. Not only did the show have a lot of appeal to the students, but many who would never have thought about being in theatre (cheerleaders and basketball players for example) DID become part of the show. The school had a great time, the shows made money for the theatre program, AND the community and media ate it up. The program is alive and well. In fact "Guys and Dolls" is being performed this weekend.

David LaFleche
    Director Of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association

• 12.  RE:Content Worries

Posted 04-11-2014 08:19
    I happened to see David's message this morning, and since I am the teacher he spoke of, I thought I would also contribute to the conversation.  Since taking over the program, (and as a nearly lifelong resident of this community) I have kept things pretty conservative on the Main Stage:

High School Musical (musical)
    It Happens Every Summer (play)
    Really Rosie (children's musical)
    Annie Get Your Gun (musical)
    A Midsummer Night's Dream (play)
    Schoolhouse Rock Jr. (children's musical)
    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (musical--I definitely played up the farcical physical humor and character typing rather than the bawdiness and it was still a big hit)
    The Mouse that Roared (play)
    My Son Pinocchio (children's musical)
    Oliver (musical)
    Honk Jr. (children's musical)
    Rehearsal for Murder (play)
    Joseph and the Amazing...(musical)
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day AND Alexander who is Not Not Not Not Not Going to Move (children's musical)
    You Can't Take it With You (play)
    110 in the Shade (musical)
    Willy Wonka Jr. (children's musical)
    John Lennon and Me (play)
    Guy and Dolls (musical)

I tend to keep more controversial legitimate theater studies for the classroom setting, and my administration is supportive of this.  In class, we have worked on scenes from:
    The Odd Couple--Male and Female versions/Oscar and Felix
    Death of a Salesman
    Plaza Suite
    Snow Angel
    The Bad Seed
    Blithe Spirit
    Twelve Angry Jurors
    God's Favorite
    Rumors
    Inherit the Wind
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Importance of Being Earnest
    Almost, Maine
    The Diary of Adam and Eve

Some fun, silly stuff for beginning classes:
    Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
    Seussification of Romeo and Juliet
    It's Not You, It's Me
    12 Incompetent Men and Women
    Make it Mystery

We also do at least one educational theater piece each year, for presentation (somehow) to our student population.  Popular shows in this vein have been:
    Thank You For Flushing My Head in the Toilet and Other Rarely Used Expressions
    4 AM
    Stress, Pressure, Doom and other Teenage Delights
    The Secret Life of Girls
    This is a Test
    13 Ways to Screw Up Your College Interview

Sometimes I think finding the "right" show is the hardest part of this job, so I hope this helps!
    Kristen

Kristen Statt
    Liberty Twp, OH