Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scripts featuring non-White characters and stories?

Posted 04-05-2014 20:16
    My middle school is 42% Asian/Pacific Islander, with the largest subgroups being Filipino, Cambodian, and Vietnamese.  Our next biggest group would be 38% Black, about half of whom are 1st or 2nd generation kids from Africa.  12% are Hispanic, and the rest are evenly Multicultural, White, or American Indian.

My kids read plays from my personal library every Friday while I conference with them one on one.  I have everyone read a mix of contemporary and classic work, but I also try to find stuff that is age and culture-relatable. While I've had a great deal of success finding material for my Black and Hispanic kids, I'm always looking for stuff that speaks to my Asian and African kids.

For some reason, finding shows that speak to the White American experience isn't a problem.  ;-)

Any ideas out there?  Thanks for your help!

-------------------------------------------
    Benjamin Stuart
    Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher
    Seattle Public Schools

• 2.  RE:Scripts featuring non-White characters and stories?

Posted 04-06-2014 07:00
    M Butterfly is good! There is a stage version The Joy Luck Club. Also, F.O.B. and others byDavid Henry Hwang. King and I has that great version of Uncle Tom's Cabin that reads really well, and is a great opportunity to teach theatre styles. I would also challenge them with traditional scripts, trying to recast traditional plays for new ethnicities. I saw a great version of Raisin the Sun, for instance, with a Mexican-American cast. Teach them about color blind casting and their opportunities abound. ------------------------------------------- Elisabeth Ledwell -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE:Scripts featuring non-White characters and stories?

Posted 04-10-2014 21:00
    "The Redwood Curtain" by Lanford Wilson has a character who is half Vietnamese.  There are only 3 characters, which makes it ideal for reading.  (That young character has a couple of terrific monologues.)

"The Theory of Everything" by Prince Gomolvilas--Dramatic Publishing--has all Asian characters, at all stages of assimilation into American culture.  It is strange and quirky, but my students who have read it have really liked it.

If you have students whose families are recently from Africa, I would hope you might have "Death and the King's Horseman" by Nigerian Wole Solyinka and several plays by South African Athol Fugard. 

Besides most of the August Wilson plays, I've got "Flyin' West" and "Blues for an Alabama Sky" by Pearl Cleage on our reading shelf.  Also, Charles Smith's "Knock Me a Kiss" is a favorite of my students.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 4.  RE:Scripts featuring non-White characters and stories?

Posted 04-11-2014 06:06
    Lorraine Hansbery's 'Les Blancs' or 'Raisin in the Sun' could be further options. There is also this absolutely incredible play called 'Indians!' by Arthur Kopit. It's the story of Buffalo Bill, and it is wonderfully tragic and comic by turns. Content can be a little much (language, sexual overtures, and the like), but if you have a more liberal base then it might be worth having a look at. I'm going to try and run it past my principal, highlighting the obvious 'educational' value! ------------------------------------------- Phillip Goodchild Valrico FL -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE:Scripts featuring non-White characters and stories?

Posted 04-11-2014 08:02
    Try any of Brecht's pieces - Caucasian Chalk Circle or Good Woman of Szechuan.  These allow for mixed cast, and have wonderful lessons to teach.
    Raquel Encalada
    Acting Coach
    Self
    Lakewood OH

• 6.  RE:Scripts featuring non-White characters and stories?

Posted 04-27-2014 15:21
    Wow!  Thank you Raquel, Phillip, C.J., and Elizabeth!  Here's the reading list you gave me in case anyone else is looking to diversify their script library:
    M Butterfly 
    by David Henry Hwang
    The Joy Luck Club adapted by Susan Kim
    F.O.B. by David Henry Hwang
    The King and I
    Uncle Tom's Cabin
    A Raisin In The Sun by Lorraine Hansberry
    Les Blancs  by Lorraine Hansberry
    The Redwood Curtain by Lanford Wilson
    The Theory of Everything by Prince Gomolvilas
    Death and the King's Horseman by Wole Solyinka
    Flyin' West by Pearl Cleage