Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rehearsal absences and consequences

Posted 03-31-2014 14:07
    I'm attempting to develop a stronger rehearsal absence policy and the consequences of being absent.  

What are your policies?  What has or hasn't worked?

-------------------------------------------
    Nathan Shewell
    Theatre Arts Director
    Indianapolis, IN

• 2.  RE:Rehearsal absences and consequences

Posted 03-31-2014 21:55
    I give them 3 absences for the season regardless of the reason. It's in the contract that they sign. Now... It also says something about extenuating circumstances and ultimately it's directors final decision. I mean I have had some kids get the flu for a week, I do not kick them out. But I try to really stick to the policy and it has worked.

Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE:Rehearsal absences and consequences

Posted 04-01-2014 07:30
    I require them to sign a contract and for their parents to sign one. They are allowed to miss rehearsal with 1 week notice. Unexcused absences must have doctor's notes or a teacher note (if they need remediation/ makeup a test etc). I replace them once they miss four rehearsals (about a week of rehearsals). I too, cite "extenuating" circumstances and tell them final say is up to me. You always have parents/ students who complain about your policies and some that want to argue with you. I also have a minimum grade requirement and no disciplinary actions against them. 

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Theatre Teacher
    New Kent County Public Schools

• 4.  RE:Rehearsal absences and consequences

Posted 04-03-2014 08:52
    We don't really have a policy at my school, we just ask people not to miss. I would love to share the policy I heard from another teacher though. At their school, the theatre teacher sits down with the cast members and adds pre-existing conflicts to their schedule. Then, they agree on when they can and cannot miss. Example, maybe the student has to miss soccer practice for rehearsal Monday but on Wednesday gets to miss rehearsal for soccer practice. This would be the agreed upon absence. The ones that have been agreed on are okay to Miss. Other than that, if you miss two rehearsal that haven't been approved, you are out of the show. I personally love the idea of the agreed upon times to miss. It keeps everyone on the same page!

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 5.  RE:Rehearsal absences and consequences

Posted 04-04-2014 08:41
    Regarding rehearsal absences, our musical audition sheets contain basic info like name, etc. and a place for possible conflicts:  one section for recurring events like dentist appts., and another area for vacations, etc.  We have a general schedule for rehearsals to share; a more specific one is given out after casting.  Two unexcused  absences means you will be replaced, and I ask for dr. excuses, just like school.  If rehearsal has been designated for choreography and you miss, you may not be blocked into that scene. ( I would say "will not", but I don't want to deal in absolutes....)
    For small casts, the same applies:  a detailed audition sheet,  two unexcused absences and you are replaced, but it is easier to be flexible with rehearsal times with a small cast. ( Usually it is not a problem for a small cast, as everyone is totally involved, and doesn't want to risk being replaced.)

Debbie Corbin
    Branson High School