Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cell Phones - The Great Distraction

Posted 03-25-2014 13:02

Let me preface my question by acknowledging the positive uses of cell phones in the classroom.  I often have students use them for research and Remind 101 has saved many a student who would have forgotten important deadlines. 

HOWEVER - I hate them in the rehearsal or studio.  Did I mention hate? 

I have tried many strategies to stop their intrusion into our work, but still have the problem and it is becoming chronic in the studio environment.  In the rehearsal space I simply tell them that distracting the rehearsal may result in your removal from the current show and for certain I will not cast you in the future.  But the classroom is a bit different.  So my question...

How do you handle disruptions/distractions in your performance classes?  What are the consequences?  I believe that one of the most important things we can download into our young artists is the ability to be present, to self monitor distractions and fully engage in the creative process.  I continually observe that the minute they perceive something is "boring" - ie waiting for a scene to start or memorizing lines - instead of figuring out how to improve the work or reflect on what is happening they disengage and occupy themselves with mindless technology. 

Thoughts?

-------------------------------------------
    Amy Learn

• 2.  RE:Cell Phones - The Great Distraction

Posted 03-26-2014 07:32
    I take up cell phones at the beginning of rehearsals.  During breaks they can check them for messages or send any that they need.  They grumble about it the first few times, but they get used to it.

Nicole DePietro
    Drama Teacher

• 3.  RE:Cell Phones - The Great Distraction

Posted 03-26-2014 08:35
    I am very fortunate in that our school still requires that cell phones be left in lockers during the day.  I can't imagine how you could control them.
    In rehearsal they may have them in their pockets on vibrate because some parents get hysterical if they can't reach their children at all times.  Cell phones that come out for non-emergencies are confiscated until rehearsal is over.
    Mostly I just give them the "you are expected to be professional" speech and the patented theater director's fish eye.

Katherine Miller

• 4.  RE:Cell Phones - The Great Distraction

Posted 03-26-2014 07:32
    Students in my school aren't allowed to have cell phones out without permission to use as research tools or calculators. I collect them in a basket during rehearsals and performances. In the early days of cell phones, I had a student whose phone was stored in his pocket during a performance. When it rang just before his exit, I watched every member in the front of the audience reach for his or her cell phone thinking it was his or hers. The cast reprimanded the student backstage, and ever since, I tell that story to my casts and crews before opening night. We even named the problem after the student, calling it "pulling a Kinsman." (That student is thrilled to live on in our theatre program, and, I might add, never made that mistake again.) Now, if we could just get the audience members to get rid of theirs! I like the ushers at Lincoln Center who, in their brash New York way, threaten to confiscate your phones if they even see you attempting to use it during a performance! ------------------------------------------- Elisabeth Ledwell Falmouth Academy -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE:Cell Phones - The Great Distraction

Posted 03-26-2014 09:03
    In a performance class, (caveat, I don't currently teach one), I think I'd start docking grades for offenders if they don't get the hint.

I also have a prepared speech about how cell phone use KILLS character study, Even blogged about it. You may find something helpful here:

http://gottaact.blogspot.com/2012/08/look-around.html

How much am I annoyed by the overuse? We just finished our run of GODSPELL. As Jesus was gathering his disciples (The "Now, do not suppose I have come to abolish" speech), he took their cell phones.Audience adored it.

Hang in there!

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director

• 6.  RE:Cell Phones - The Great Distraction

Posted 03-26-2014 09:07
    I so agree. I wish there was an easy answer. It has definitely changed the learning environment . I have taken to "if I see I take" during a class. I find that helps but the lack of wanting to learn or explore new things is not there anymore. No curiosity to find out how it all works. Scary!
    Holly Mason

• 7.  RE:Cell Phones - The Great Distraction

Posted 03-27-2014 14:41
    Hello,

At the first rehearsal, I provide large index cards and have each student write their name and decorate the card. These are "cradles" for their "babies" (phones). At the edge of the stage I have a cell phone "day care" where the phone are placed. If a phone vibrates we can see which phone it is and contact the person in case it's important. This really has helped even though we have to check to make sure that cradles don't go missing.

In class, it's a much more difficult problem. Even though I have the "if I see it I will turn it in to the office" policy. Many of the younger students will not think twice about pulling it out. I have had to turn in quite a few phones. Sadly, many teachers use cell phones as pacifiers so it doesn't help the teachers that actually want the students to get used to being engaged. I don't think this problem is going to get better soon.

If anyone has a good solution I would love to hear about it.

Patricia Giles
    Theatre Director