Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  8th grade play

Posted 11-27-2016 11:45
    Last year we did And Then There Were None for the annual 8th grade play, which was fabulous.  I usually try to to alternate a comedy and mystery, but I'm having a hard time finding a good comedy for my 5 girls and 6 or 7 boys.  I often use a few kids from other grades so I'm not strictly limited to a play for 11 (and I do gender bending when needed, casting a girl in a boys part, etc).  I need a good play that will appeal to 8th graders but is appealing to older kids to see as well.  I could do another mystery as long as it's very different from an Agatha Christie.  Thoughts?

Karen L. Fairbank
    Director of College Counseling and Student Activities
    Chair, Social Studies Department

T H O M A S   J E F F E R S O N   S C H O O L

4100 S. Lindbergh Blvd.

St. Louis, MO  63127

Tel:   +1 314.843.4151, ext. 2360

Fax:  +1 314.843.3527

• 2.  RE: 8th grade play

Posted 11-28-2016 07:49
    'The Musical Comedy of 1940', it's not a musical. Also It has a bar written into it, we changed ti to a coffee bar, and had a similar effect.

--
    Hillary Bogers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) E-mail correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 3.  RE: 8th grade play

Posted 11-29-2016 10:34

Ms. Karen,

You might take a look at  Ẅolf Tales or The Trial of Goldie Locks or a comedy mystery like The Unusual Suspects by Samara Siskind from playscripts, Inc 8 females and 6 males. These turned out well for us.

Tks,

Stephen Smith

Joe T. Robinson High School

Drama, Forensics and Poetry Out Loud Coach

Little Rock, Ar

------------------------------
    Stephen Smith
    Joe T. Robinson High School
    Drama, Forensics and Poetry Out Loud Coach
    Little Rock AR

• 4.  RE: 8th grade play

Posted 11-28-2016 13:25

Have you looked at "The Curious Savage" by John Patrick? Very funny and poignant, with a perfect cast size for your resources. Available through Dramatists.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 5.  RE: 8th grade play

Posted 11-29-2016 11:11

I always have fun working on mystery-thrillers with my students.

Arsenic and Old Lace is a high school standard but for a very good reason. It's just a really delightful and well written play.

There are dozens of versions of Dracula out there; from frightening to funny. Find one that best suits your community and your cast.  The special effects are a lot of fun for your tech kids. 

You might also look at a Sherlock Holmes mystery. Those stories have had a resurgence lately (thanks to Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Downey Jr.). There are several good versions of Hound of the Baskervilles out there. Lots of different adaptations with different cast sizes and technical requirements. If you are going to do some gender swapping anyway, you might consider going modern dress!

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 6.  RE: 8th grade play

Posted 11-29-2016 07:47
    I completely agree with The Curious Savage. It's funny, touching, and great characters. And it's 11 people!!

---------------------------------
    Juniper Wallace
    Theatre Director
    Brandon MS
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: 8th grade play

Posted 11-30-2016 09:22

When I taught middle school/junior high, my favorite straight play that my students performed was Leaving Iowa.  The kids and the parents loved it, too.

Best wishes!

Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO