Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Progress Indicators

Posted 11-25-2016 13:13

Is anyone (or maybe everyone and I'm late to the game) using progress indicators to assess growth in acting/theatre classes?  I'm thinking along the lines of what I expect the student to do in a skill area at what part of the semester.  For example in a beginning acting class in the skill area of Stage Work I expect them to just get on stage day one, but eventually I expect them to be able to stay open and then at some point to be able to adjust the stage picture, etc...

I have clear learning targets for each performance assessment that increases expectations each time, but nothing that shows the student their progress in each skill area.  I've done some cursory Googling and didn't really see anything like this.  Of course we have the National Standards and I can build off of that but am wondering if anyone has something like this in use...

------------------------------
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 2.  RE: Progress Indicators

Posted 11-27-2016 22:30

I use our (former) state rubric.  It's not perfect, but it's good and it covers most areas that I want to cover.  Plus, it gets the kids ready for performing at districts/regionals/state.  We have 5 possible scores (something along the lines of superior, excellent, fair, developing and poor) in 8 categories (preparation, voice, blocking, physicality, objectives, tactics, relationship and dynamics).  I use that for every performance the kids do all year long, so they can easily see how they are progressing.  More than that, I encourage them to look at it from year to year.  One of my now seniors, who scored very well at regionals and was recognized for having top scores, received mostly Cs/fair scores her freshman year.  It's awesome to see how far they've come!'

I don't have it here but if you want, I can email it to you - Lsteenson@rsd7.net

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Progress Indicators

Posted 11-28-2016 08:47

I have a few Rubrics like that.  I guess I'm thinking more of a timeline of skill development.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE: Progress Indicators

Posted 11-28-2016 19:02

I think a timeline of skill development is harder because every kid is so different.  I have kids who came in so much further along than others that I expect WAY more of them than I expect of kids who are brand new, even though they're both freshman.  For me it's more kid to kid and looking at are they progressing based on the rubric and if not, why not?

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR