Open Forum

View Only

Department Favoritism and Struggles

• 1.  Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-19-2016 08:45

I am in need of guidance from my fellow educators that love this field as much as I do.

I am a first year teacher in a small school district where every student is in every program. I am in the process of rebuilding the theatre department from its many years in shambles and within less than 3 months, I have developed a Thespian Troupe, my Thespians will be going to their 1st state conference and currently collaborating with Special Education Department for a SPED performance. In my school district, band and choir are favored by principals support (1.They are run by a married couple and 2. the principal's children are in band and choir). In planning my season, the principals have wanted me to change my schedule (cancel and reschedule performance dates that have already been paid for) around the band and choir because they need my students that have chosen to be in my program. I have fought and said no and my dates have stayed because I did this months in advance. Because of willingness to not back down has caused some tension with the choir and band because they are not used to having a theatre teacher with a back bone and always get what they ask for.

Here's where I need the help: My school has had productions cancelled due to the poor direction of the theatre teachers in the past and haven't had a musical in 4 years. I have placed a musical on the books for the spring because my seniors would love to do one.. Originally the choir teacher because she was too busy, wouldn't be able to assist so I found other resources to help me in her place. On Friday, I got pulled into the principals office and they said that I am doing too much as a first year teacher, musicals are a big deal and that I need the choir director to help me. Also, happened to throw in that the choir teacher is doing a Broadway musical review that is a month before the musical and that they are worried because we would be using the same students that I won't really have a cast. Unfortunately, the principal pulled my musical from me to accommodate band and choir once again.

I am very frustrated and disappointed because the administration won't let me show them what I can do and also is further putting down a program they are not used to succeeded that the quick rate that it is doing. So I'm torn on what to do. One side of me is to keep fighting, maybe get a petition of the students who want to do a musical and prove to them that it's not just me who wants this, this is the student body. Also, establish another meeting explaining how (as they already know) I don't do this for my personal gain, but for my students who need this the most and have them reconsider again. Or, bow down and just accept it and then next year do it without the help of the choir and band director because of the tension.

------------------------------
    Lydia-Rae Wehmeyer
    HS Drama and Speech Teacher
    Sullivan School District
    Florissant MO

• 2.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-20-2016 06:49

Unfortunately this is a struggle that many of us have dealt with. Sadly, when it comes to administration, they are the owners of the team and we are just players. We MUST have them in our court in order to do our job successfully. I always use the "kill then with kindness" route, and when you have to bend and sometimes break to meet their whim, just tell them, "I'm very disappointed, but out of respect for you, I will make these changes. It is my greatest hope that you will remember this flexibility next year and genuinely try to return the favor for me. I really want to grow this program for the kids, not for me, and I am confident that the hard work that I put in this year will prove to you that I know what I'm doing and that you were smart to hire me."

Sure it's a bit of brown nosing but In 19 years of teaching it has worked for me every time. The advantage of working like that, is that if in a year or two, if things don't change with that school, you can also leave this job with a  principal sad to see you go, and a great reference, rather than being "that teacher" that the principal thought was pushy and wanted out. This is unbelievably valuable to YOU. 

On a side note, I work with kids in all of the fine arts dept too and I try to be obnoxiously flexible with releasing kids for their other commitments....band, dance, choir, etc....so that when we get to the few weeks before the opening, I can call all of those favors back and get all my kiddos every day. Kill them with kindnesss. Kill them with kindness...obnoxious kindness.

I know it's super hard to stay positive when you feel like the underdog fighting an uphill battle, but if your intentions are pure, the kids will be on board, their parents will fight for you and you won't have to fight so hard for yourself. Administration will begin to see your efforts to play nice.  Just don't fall into the trap of bad- mouthing the administration to kids. It will come back to bite you in a bad bad way. Become the choir and band teacher's best friend...HARD AS IT MAY BE, they may become your biggest advocates and then behave the principal's ear.

Break legs!

Leslie Rhodes
    Theatre Teacher
    Spring TX

• 3.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-20-2016 09:02

That's a tough place to be in.  

When we started to build our program, it was a similar scenario.  My colleague took over the two theatre classes that were built in the schedule and there weren't really any expectations of a musical or a performance.  We were told theatre didn't work at our school.  

We started small.  We didn't load up with a full season of shows, in fact we only settled on one, The Wizard of Oz.  Our former musical director said we shouldn't do it, we should get our feet wet.  We produced the show with no help from those that were there before us.  We rehearsed vocals in a classroom and accommodated student schedules for other activities.  We really produced it on the down low from the rest of the school.  We built sets and painted props in class as classroom projects and spent a little time after school.

Long story short, we produced the show tried not to make any waves and our administration came and were blown away.  That built us credibility....and we continue to build our credibility.  

I guess my piece of advice is, don't get frustrated.  Play the politics for a little while, and then just do what you do.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  We're in year 5 and still building.

Timothy Frost
    Technical Theatre Director
    Ridge Community High School
    Davenport FL

• 4.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-20-2016 15:20

Hi Lydia-Rae,

I am so sorry to hear of your first year struggles. As much as I would say fight for your program that won't get you far as it seems. I do have a few suggestions to help you out. It seems that you need to form a bond/bridge between the programs. If you help them, they'll eventually help you. Below is a plan.

1. Make sure that you work the concerts. I mean, set lights and sound and help them setup platforms, chairs, etc. Have you Thespians help you with this. You can give them either hours/points for this duty.  Maybe this'll be a better concert as you can focus on this and show your students presence during the process.

2. For the choir musical review/revue, see if you can construct some set pieces for the teacher. Agan design the lights and sound. DON'T over step you boundaries just help as you can.

3. This type of work can show your value past the theatre portion and at the same time build the respect that you deserve.  

This is a lot of work but I promise a more suitable and progessive way of getting noticed in a positive setting and not in a negative notion. 

If you have any questions or just want to talk feel free to contact me at brian.kaufman@wcs.edu

We all have struggles in the arts and its important to stick together and help each other out.  That's how we get stronger. Good Luck!

Brian Kaufman
    Theatre Director/Speech Coah
    Ravenwood High School
    Brentwood TN

• 5.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-21-2016 09:40

It's always so frustrating to be in this type of position. I agree to the kill them with kindness method. Becoming a necessary fixture on campus to help all of the events in the auditorium run smoothly has been highly beneficial for me. I've had cases where my principal will stop by my room because the AV Tech person is off campus or not available and they need sound equipment set up for something. Having the knowledge and ability to step in and help on a moment's notice really raised my value in the admin's eyes (and he had to watch my class while I was setting things up - that led to a whole new appreciation of what happens in our classrooms).

As heartbreaking as it may be for your seniors I'd give way on the musical this year. You could do a play with music to give some of the same experience and still not be going a "musical". I'd also start looking for the specific musical you want to do for next year. If you need your admin to approve it get that done. Then get the rights so that you have dates locked down. It's a lot more difficult to tell you to reschedule a show if the publishing company has already licensed it. 

I also agree with Brian. Have your kids help run backstage or House to take pressure off of the other teachers. It's good experience for the kids and it will (hopefully) help ease some of the tension that may be mounting between you and your colleagues. 

Good luck! :^)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-21-2016 13:58
    It seems the discussion of copyright laws relevant to theatre reappears every so many years.  I was a member of a group with USITT (United States Institute of Theatre Technology) several years ago (1985?) that successfully encapsulated information and advice for theatre practitioners.  A couple of years back, I was introduced to Louis E. Catron and his thorough copyright information.  I have found none better.  I will share a link at the end of my message.

It is important to remember that teachers and practitioners of theatre should be role models in all we do.  Numerous studies affirm the idea of modeling as one of the most important attributes that teachers have in their arsenal for affecting learning in their students.  Respecting laws and applying them in your productions is an important part of what you model. In addition to licensing the rights to produce plays and musicals, this also includes royalties for all music you use in association with your non-musical productions.  The easiest way you and your schools can be protected for use of music in any activity (or sport) is to acquire a site license.  Your school attorney can secure this for around $900.  It will allow legal use of music throughout the schools activities.  You will be restricted for uses under the blanket agreement for the licensing whether it is ASCAP or BMI, etc.  Forget using any Disney music - no amateur rights for stand alone music in their domain are ever granted (as far as I know this is still true).  Disney musicals are available for license, of course.

As artists ourselves, I know we can afford paying reasonable fees that support our fellow artists.

• 7.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-21-2016 09:38

At the risk of asking an obvious question, did you check your performance dates with the administration and the other departments before you scheduled your show and purchased rights?

My program is still very new also, and I am learning that collaboration is key. I've been at odds with the band director over students that want to do both, and I've made a few sacrifices to shoehorn performance dates between other events and around the many sports events (I've been asked not to schedule anything that conflicts with a game/meet).

I've not yet been asked to reschedule or cancel anything, but I'd like to think that is at least partly because I've made sure the dates were good before I laid out any money.

If you've done that, and they are going back on agreed-upon dates, that is a separate issue. I believe that in most cases the owners of the show will work with you to reschedule dates without violating your agreement with them. 

I definitely agree with those who have advised you to work hard making friends with the band and choir people. I need to take the same advice, because when the time comes for me to do our school's first musical, I will value my band colleague's expertise and partnership. If we don't get along, he might not give it, and then I'd have a less-good show.

It sounds like you are trying to do a lot with the program, right out of the gate. I applaud that. You might keep in mind that you are rebuilding a program in a community that has a predetermined idea of what a drama program is. Judging by your report, that idea is not a favorable one. It may take some work to change those preconceived notions and restore (or just plain create) your program's reputation.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 8.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-21-2016 10:47

Hey Lydia,

Brian brought up a good point and something that we practice at my high school. We have venue request forms for every event in the auditorium. Whether it is a debate or a choral concert, we assign students and work with the faculty/liaison to make sure that we have what they need. We even do some special touches to give it even more punch.

This has proved very advantageous for all involved and the theatre program has grown tremendously.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 9.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-23-2016 22:45

Theatre programs aren't built in a year. Take your time. Do something small to start, impress them with the professionalism and craft of your show, and then ask for more. I have taught at two schools and both took me about 5 years to get the program where I wanted. In the spring, get together with the chorus and band and talk about what you want next year. Find a way to make it integrate into their programs. 

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 10.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-24-2016 12:00

First of all, shout out to he 314. I'm originally from the area, on the Illinois side...

I'm in my fifth year at a terrific high school where musicals are king. It's just how it is most places. I'm more of a straight theater guy, so I stuck to that instead, as the musical was already being run by the choir and orchestra teachers. My first year, I was told "no" on several occasions. Don't do this show because you're a first-year. Wait a year to take this on, etc. But they didn't know me. Why would they give me a lot of freedom? 

The administrators most likely (if they're worth their salt) appreciate your passion, but like any new position in which there has been tradition, change has to be somewhat gradual. The parents feel this way, too, strangely, and the administration gets pushback that you can't see. This sucks to hear, but we all go through it. Unless you're being hired as a kick-ass theater teacher with lots of street cred going into a performing arts school or a school with tons of performing arts respect under its belt, you're going to be told to slow down. They don't know you yet. It's great that you're setting things up already, and don't think for a second that they don't see this. And so do the other teachers, the parents, the students, and after a few years, this can't be ignored. Nor will it.

My suggestion would be to do a small studio play, or a winter play. A full length play if you can lock down the time and space. Do Our Town in the round in a black box with 70 seats. Have a night of one acts. But in your position, stay away from the musicals, as it seems they have a problem with it. Seriously Just drop it. It won't do you any good to get the administration to see you as a problem. They're like the custodians...you'll need them when it counts.

Also, I would suggest not involving the administration as much as possible in your decisions. They don't want to be bothered. They hired you so that they don't have to think about it. Kick some serious ass in what you put up. As Steve Martin once said, "Be so good that they can't ignore you." 

I get told no all the time. I'm in my fifth year and my shows are insane. But limits are certainly placed upon me. But I have a lot more freedom than I used to, and I know that every year I'm there, there are fewer "no's" in my way.

Dave Engel

FM Theater

David Engel
    Theater Department Head
    Fayetteville-Manlius School District
    Manlius NY

• 11.  RE: Department Favoritism and Struggles

Posted 11-25-2016 14:23

Having moved into several teaching positions over my 40-year career, and having spent 20+ years in teacher training, I would suggest that the old adage "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" would be a good guide for you. You don't have to come in with blazing star power, shaking things up, in order to revive a limping program, or to show your worth or to be an effective teacher. Play nicely. Less can generate more.  I suggest trying to entice the principal's kids into your <g class="gr_ gr_14 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="14" data-gr-id="14">theatre</g> program.  As a newbie in the <g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="16" data-gr-id="16">school</g> I suggest that you do concede to the usual school regimen and <g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="15" data-gr-id="15">calendar,</g> and plan smaller but quality experiences that fit in to,  not that challenge, the status quo. Little by little, year by year, the quality of your students and the way you interact with them, and what they see they get from your program will foster more quantity if students and parents begin to ask for more of what you have to give. Break a leg!

Amy Goldin
    COPA Inc.: College Options in the Performing Arts
    www.performingartsoptions.com
    516-674-6116