Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sound question

Posted 11-18-2016 07:19

We have just started working on A Wrinkle in Time.  One of the witches is supposed to have an echo in her voice.  Is there a simple device I can plug into my sound board to give her voice that kind of reverb?  

------------------------------
    Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.statt@lakotaonline.com

• 2.  RE: Sound question

Posted 11-18-2016 07:26

Your sound board may already have a reverb setting -- but, if it's anything like mine, I think it would apply to all the channels...?

Someone else may have a better answer than this, but you might be able to use something as a pass-through, like a guitar's distortion pedal -- ie: plug your wireless mic receiver (I assume it's a lavalier?) into the pedal, pedal to the board, and then activate the pedal whenever you need the distortion to the voice.

That's merely a theory, though -- I'd have no idea if it'd work, how good it'd sound, etc.

Hope that helps!  Break lots of legs!

Russell Paulette
    Rappahannock County Public Schools
    Washington VA
    The Blue & The Grey -- Theatrefolk.com

• 3.  RE: Sound question

Posted 11-18-2016 08:15

YES -it's called either a Reverb Unit, or more likely a digital effects device.  

Many mixers (usually simpler ones and the newer digital consoles have these built in.

External units are available.  You can but them from $69 up new. At the low end the Behringer FEX800 is $69 and available almost everywhere pro sound gear is sold.  Local music stores stock them.  or sound rental stores will rent you one for maybe $20 for you tech week plus show week.  If you need to rent one I can supply one for $20 rent for 2 weeks plus shipping from NJ (about $10 inbound) and the same for you to return it.

Whether built in or external, they are set up such that you decide which channel or channels are affected, and you have control over how much reverb/echo there is and how loud the echo is vs the original voice - in this case you want almost no original voice and all affected signal.

Feel free to ask me for more info

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ