Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  GREASE: Adding the movie songs

Posted 11-17-2016 22:40

Hey All,

Has anyone done Grease recently and added the movie songs? Here is my problem: I have secured the rights to perform all the movie songs: Hopelessly Devoted to You; Sandy; You're the One That I Want; and Grease (the title song from the movie.) Now Samuel French has the music and orchestrations for only 2 of the songs: Hopelessly Devoted, and You're the One... Now when I went through Warner/Chappel to secure the performance rights, they sent me to a music company that has the sheet music, but it's the typical vocal sheet music you can get at any music store with piano and the guitar chords. I'm wondering if anyone has orchestrations for the two songs (Sandy and Grease) that they are willing to share. Or do you know where I can find them.  I am searching but I thought this is definitely one of the first places I should put out feelers. 

Thanks for any help,

------------------------------
    David Ellis
    Drama and Language Arts Teacher
    Auburn Mountainview High School, Auburn, WA.

• 2.  RE: GREASE: Adding the movie songs

Posted 11-18-2016 06:34

We just performed Grease this past spring with the movie songs added, and I can tell you that the arrangements were the biggest pain I could possibly imagine -- it certainly tested my music director greatly.  I can see if he still has what he came up with for Grease -- Sandy, I believe, we did just piano and vocals using a Chorus book for that arrangement.  Grease was a little bit of a mess, to be honest, but I know our music director did the best he could...

Let me know -- he played with it in Finale, I believe.

Russell Paulette
    Rappahannock County Public Schools
    Washington VA
    The Blue and the Grey -- Theatrefolk.com

• 3.  RE: GREASE: Adding the movie songs

Posted 11-18-2016 09:53

I just want to chime in here with a vote AGAINST adding the movie songs. The original script, with the original songs, including using "All Choked Up" instead of "You're the One That I Want," still get HUGE reactions from audiences who only know the show because of the movie versions. 

I saw it done at a local "Children's" theatre (the actors were 15-20) and they kept pure to the original script, the only exceptions changing two or three words (as we did when I was in it when I was 16) and it was such a breath of fresh air to see the kids playing Sandy and Danny, not Olivia and John.

Just the .02 cents from someone who hasn't had to make that kind of decision yet. Remind me of this thread in three years :)

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose CA

• 4.  RE: GREASE: Adding the movie songs

Posted 11-18-2016 11:17

Hello, I am afraid I can not help you with sheet music but the rehearsal and performance music ROCS has that is sold through Samuel French does contain all four movie songs. From the research we have done, that is the only way to hear the full orchestrations for Sandy and Grease is the Word in the United States and Canada.

Jameson McDougal
    Right On Cue Services
    Provo UT