Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  splitting proceeds

Posted 11-11-2016 11:59

How do you guys deal with splitting proceeds with your music programs when you do musicals?

Rebecca Rajswasser. M.Ed.

Forest High School
    English I; Intro to Drama; Acting I-IV

Director, Troupe 3069

671-7400; 58562

[Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. All correspondence sent to or from this entity is subject to the Public Records Law of Florida. Email communication may be subject to public and media disclosure upon request. Under Florida Law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.]

~An Equal Opportunity School District~

• 2.  RE: splitting proceeds

Posted 11-12-2016 13:18

For us, it's easy, as everything goes to our Performing Arts Boosters, who cover both departments, and the middle school.

A sticking point for me though, and one I'm trying to work out, is that the school still has to pay for the rights and all of the scripts and music for the shows, for which we have no budget (fortunately, they have found the money SOMEWHERE and it didn't come out of our Visual and Performing Arts department budget, which is minuscule (and already spent for the year by the end of September). I think that, if the school is paying for the rights, they should get some percentage of the ticket sales.

------------------------------
    Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose CA

• 3.  RE: splitting proceeds

Posted 11-12-2016 18:49

We don't.  The theatre department is 100% in charge of paying the production costs, so the theatre department takes 100% of the gate.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: splitting proceeds

Posted 11-13-2016 09:11

We don't keep any of our gate for our main stage shows. It all goes into the building athletic/activities account.  My understanding is that because the building pays the royalties (but only the royalties) they get the gate.

We do keep 100% (less sales tax) of our gate for Rep Theatre, Improv, and other shows where we pay royalties.

Jeremy Riggs
    BVN Theatre Director

• 5.  RE: splitting proceeds

Posted 11-14-2016 14:15

We keep all of our gate, because the Drama Department incurs all of the expenses, including rental and royalties. We also purchase items to maintain and improve the theater (replacement spots, mics and cords, tools, etc.). And if the Music department asks for anything, they get it. They don't, much, partly because they have a very strong Booster Club.

Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI