Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Low lying fog

Posted 11-09-2016 06:09
    I hate the hassle of dry ice. Anyone ever use other machines
    That claim to get the same look without the dry ice? If so please share.
    Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Low lying fog

Posted 11-10-2016 06:22

I purchased a fog machine last year when I did Peter Pan. Ithe was moderately priced and gave me decent results. They definitely work well, and the fog dissipates as necessary. Depending on how much fog you desire I would say that price and size matter. The Chauvet 2 NV-F18 18-Inch UV Black-Lights with H700 Fog Machine (Pair) was sufficient to my needs, and the fog machine fluid is a safer and more economic choice compared to dry ice. I would suggest seeking opinions of experts before purchasing. 

------------------------------
    Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 3.  RE: Low lying fog

Posted 11-11-2016 04:14
    Just remember to take the sensors out of your fire alarm units in the ceiling. I did Miss Saigon and learned the hard way with smoke. The district came in and removed them in my backstage hallway and shop and no alarms went off during the shows. They put them back in after show closed.

Brenda Amburgy
    Program Leader:
    Visual and Performing Arts
    Timberline High School
    sent from my IPhone

• 4.  RE: Low lying fog

Posted 11-12-2016 11:58

Is there a redundant system in those areas of your building in case of emergency? What if there were a fire, would it go unnoticed because the alarms had been disabled? 

Trevor Long

• 5.  RE: Low lying fog

Posted 11-10-2016 07:31

I have tried two types of fog machines that say their cooling will keep fog low.  I have not seen that happen yet with either. This does confound me, and I am following the thread for a viable alternative.

Thanks,

Mrs. Dorothea Hackett, M.Ed.

National Board of Professional Teaching Standards Certified Teacher

English/French/Theater Arts

International Thespian Society 6949 Sponsor

English Department High School Chair

DEN Star 

DuBois Area Senior High School

425 Orient Avenue

DuBois, PA  15801

814-371-8111 x 3137

dhackett@dasd.k12.pa.us

or

dhackett@students.dasd.k12.pa.us

• 6.  RE: Low lying fog

Posted 11-10-2016 08:49

the machines work well, they make some noise you will want to cover with sound and the fog does not stay as low to the ground.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 7.  RE: Low lying fog

Posted 11-10-2016 16:45

There are several different ways to achieve the look of a dry ice fogger.  Several machines use Co2 tanks to chill the fog from a fog machine to give the low lying effect.  These machines can be rather expensive to purchase but many rental companies have them in their rental stock.  This is usually the easiest way to go if your funds are limited and you only plan on using the system for one production. 

There are also fog machines that have a built in tank that you can fill with regular ice to chill the fog.  These work pretty well but you have to deal with the melting ice and it can get messy. 

I've recommended to people to Google DIY fog chiller.  There are a lot of plans online that show you how to build your own chiller unit out of a Coleman cooler or even the Styrofoam ones.  They can be pretty easy to build and can be rather inexpensive.  To get the best effect always use a decent fog machine.  The cheap ones that you see at Halloween stores generally aren't that great.  You should look for one that has a 1000W or higher heating element.  If you can, I would say to invest in a good fogger from Ultratec FX, Rosco Labs or any of the other higher end machines.  They're an investment but they can take a beating and are usually easy to repair if anything happens. 

Always remember to use quick dissipating fog fluid for low lying effects.  Once the fog is chilled it will start to rise as it gets warmer.  The quick dissipating fluid works well so you don't fog up the entire theater.  Remember to only use the fluid that is recommended by the manufacturer for their machines.   Mixing fluids from different manufacturers will usually void the warranty and may cause damage to the machine.

I hope that this helps.

Jason Coffman
    Light Theatrics, LLC
    Atco NJ

• 8.  RE: Low lying fog

Posted 11-11-2016 14:56

And don't forget that when you're using fog that you need to post in the lobby that fog effects are being used in the production.  Same thing if you're using strobes or any type of pyro effects.

Jason Coffman
    Light Theatrics, LLC
    Atco NJ