Open Forum

Β View Only
  • 1.  Andrew Lloyd Webber's Wizard of Oz

Posted 11-05-2016 14:30
    Hello everyone. I am interested in doing The Wizard of Oz in March and recently discovered that Andrew Lloyd Webber has a lovely adaptation available on iTunes. I cannot seem to find out who has the rights to the show and if they are even available. I've contacted MTI, R & H and Tams Whitmark and no one seems to know. I was wondering if any of my theater professional comrades out there might have any information. Thank you 😊

Pauline Maranian

Sent from my iPad

• 2.  RE: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Wizard of Oz

Posted 11-07-2016 08:41

The Wizard of Oz (Arlen/Harburg) is represented by Tams Witmark. There is/was/will be a Troika tour of the Arlen/Harburg work that has the billing "Featuring All The Classics Plus New Songs By Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber."

I'd go back to Tams for more info. They represent the original Work.

------------------------------
    Michael McDonough
    TRW Director of Amateur Licensing
    New York

• 3.  RE: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Wizard of Oz

Posted 11-08-2016 09:32

Hi Pauline,

Yes, Tams-Witmark licenses THE WIZARD OF OZ with the Harold Arlen/Yip Harburg score. We have two full-length versions available: 1. The Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) version, which is extremely faithful to the MGM movie in dialogue and song; and 2. The MUNY version, which takes some additional elements from the book and adds original characters and plot developments. The RSC version is more ambitious theatrically, since it recreates some moments originally created by movie magic, but it is the story most audiences expect. The MUNY version is simpler to stage, but some story elements will be less familiar to audiences (Dorothy returns to Kansas in a rocket!). We also license THE WIZARD OF OZ Young Performers' Edition, which is a one-hour adaptation of RSC version designed for performance by elementary- and middle-school actors. I'm sorry-- the Lloyd Webber/Rice adaptation of the show is not currently available for licensing. Hope this helps!

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com

• 4.  RE: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Wizard of Oz

Posted 11-09-2016 12:12

Hi everyone and thank you for your responses.  I actually produced The Wizard of Oz back in 2000 and went through Tams Whitmark.  We chose the Royal Shakespeare version.  I am looking for the new version by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice.  I checked with Tams and they didn't know where to direct me.  I also checked with MTI and R&H and they were all baffled.  I located a company in the UK called The Universal Music Publishing Group and they referred me to the California office.  I have had no response form the yet though.  Just wondering if anyone has ever done the show as the latest revival.

Thanks again for any help,

Pauline Maranian
    Costa Mesa CA

• 5.  RE: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Wizard of Oz

Posted 11-10-2016 14:09

The Really Useful Group may be able to help. They're in England. It's ALW's company that ultimately controls his works. 

Jared Wright
    Drama Teacher
    Upson-Lee High School

• 6.  RE: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Wizard of Oz

Posted 11-14-2016 10:49

Hi Pauline,

I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding. It's not that Tams-Witmark doesn't know where to direct you; you absolutely came to the right place when you called us! Unfortunately, the amateur performing rights to the Andrew Lloyd Webber adaptation of THE WIZARD OF OZ are simply not available. The show is an adaptation of the MGM script, using all of the Harold Arlen/Yip Harburg songs plus four new Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice songs. That means that several writers are involved, across generations. Although the show has been produced professionally, the estates of Lloyd Webber, Rice, Arlen, Harburg and other contributing writers have not yet worked out an arrangement for amateur licensing. Thus, the show is not currently available anywhere, and it's uncertain whether it ever will be.

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com