Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  After school rehearsals: grades and conflicts

Posted 11-05-2016 13:43
    Hi guys

Question. I teach middle school theatre and have for many years (before that I taught high school and elementary). I've always graded after school rehearsals for my Play Production class as it seems to be a big factor in not missing rehearsals. I don't work in a big 'drama' area. The parents sign off on contract. Now, we have even 5 million more after school activities at our school and I end up with kids missing (I had cross country,etc). I only rehearse once a week for 90 minutes per group so they can do other things so I try super hard to accommodate. Now, my admin is saying I cannot give points or grade for attending rehearsals as it is not equitable. That I can only say it is encouraged they be there, which makes it awfully hard to run rehearsals. Most of my colleagues grade/give points and he says he will ask around but I've heard nothing and in the meantime, I'm missing 2-3 kids a practice and having ppl step in and just read lines.

What do you guys do? Thoughts???

Best wishes,
    Deanna Ableser
    Abbywriter123@gmail.com
    www.youththeatreplays.net

• 2.  RE: After school rehearsals: grades and conflicts

Posted 11-06-2016 09:26

Give a written alternate assignment for those that miss. 

------------------------------
    Roberta Lakavage
    Teacher
    Cleveland TX

• 3.  RE: After school rehearsals: grades and conflicts

Posted 11-07-2016 06:17
    Is the only grade you have for play production in acting? Have kids sign a contact to attend rehearsal if they really want a part. Those that don't are recast. Those that can't can be in charge of props and costumes, things that can be done in class or fewer after school rehearsals. Try plays with actors playing multiple roles, so you can easily recast. Use understudies. Even in high school, I find kids are busier and they have to be taught to make choices. They can't do everything. Parents also are tied to their own schedules, and if they get off work at 4 and you don't finish until 5, few parents want to sit in their cars for an hour and wait. Sigh. The show must go on, however, so good luck!

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: After school rehearsals: grades and conflicts

Posted 11-06-2016 14:36

I cast non-athletes as my principals and allow other students to play bit parts and extras. Basically I give the big parts to the students who can commit to 4 hours of rehearsal a week and tell the athlete actors to come when they can. 

One year I had to move my rehearsals to a later time because of too much crossover. If basketball practice is over at 4:30, then play rehearsal starts at 5. 

Brent Herndon
    Theater Teacher
    Sherman TX

• 5.  RE: After school rehearsals: grades and conflicts

Posted 11-06-2016 16:07

I think that we all run into this problem. Middle school students can be fickle. I don't cast kids who have sports commitments or other regular scheduled responsibilities. They sign a contract, pay up front, and are recast if they miss more than 3 rehearsals. The only acceptable excuse is sick with a doctor's note. (I use the same rules as school attendance) I would recast the role and give a written  assignment for the class grade. The only way to change the culture (drama is not a priority) is shock the kids and parents. 

Thia
    Teacher
    Coral Springs FL

• 6.  RE: After school rehearsals: grades and conflicts

Posted 11-07-2016 19:29

I teach high school, not middle school, but I assign understudies to all roles in large cast shows.  When an eager understudy jumps into the role with gusto, some conflicts just seem to evaporate.  And if the conflicts become a real problem, I've got someone to do the role.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC