Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Color Choices

Posted 11-04-2016 11:04

Good morning,

I have always been a creature of habit. That is good sometimes, and sometimes, not so much. I wanted to reach out to the lighting designers and ask what are your choices for warm and cool front light. I like using R05 (Rose Tint) for my warm and R51 (Surprise Pink) for my cool. 

The set designer and directer always comment on "surprise pink." I want to surprise them. 

Look forward to your feedback!

------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 2.  RE: Color Choices

Posted 11-06-2016 12:24

We generally use R02 (Bastard Amber) and R60 (No Color Blue) for our washes.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Color Choices

Posted 11-07-2016 23:05

Moi is a lighting designer.  When you say "front light" I'm assuming you are referring to your area lighting?  Yep, I also use the good ole R02 and R60, sometimes R62.  I use those for dramas, tragedies, etc, and use R33 - sometimes R35 in the warm side - for comedies and musicals.  I use R51 if I'm in a theatre that doesn't have McCandless and there's only one instrument per area.  R51 brings out the warms and the cools in costumes and sets.

Here's a trick for you - if you only have two front color washes.  Use an amber, like maybe R21 and a blue, like maybe R68 or R74.  Turn on the amber you get an amber front wash.  Turn on the blue you get a blue front wash. Turn them both on.... you get a pink front wash!  Voila, three color front washes!

Enjoy!

Beth

Beth Rand
    Author of "The High School Theatre Lighting Rep Plot"
    High School Theatre Manager and HS Theatre Operations Coach
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    www.RCDTheatreOps.com
    Woodinville, WA

• 4.  RE: Color Choices

Posted 11-08-2016 08:10

I agree with all the warm color choices here. I also for blue sometimes use R365.  It give a  nice cool undertone and mixes well with the R09 or other similar warm colors. It also does well when you wash the stage with deep blues it lightens the space without taking away from the blue wash. 

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI