Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wireless Mics

Posted 11-04-2016 08:46
    I have a parent wanting to donate wireless Mics so he can hear his child when we do our musical! I got a quote from a local company and the hairline Mics they quoted are "mini Mics" from Shure, and are only $78. The headset Mics are much more expensive. I asked the guy giving the quote if those Mics would give good sound quality for a musical, and he said, "yes". I see someone else on this forum asking about Countryman B6 hairline Mics. I looked those up and they were about $250-$300. I don't want to judge solely based on price, but I know you do get what you pay for. I'm also wondering if this local company here in El Paso has enough expertise for this job. Does anyone have recommendations for companies in Texas?

Sent from my iPad

• 2.  RE: Wireless Mics

Posted 11-05-2016 07:55

Vici ... the choice of mic element is the least of your worries.  I love the Shure WL93 (the item referred to as a Shure mini mic), but it is large compared the the Countryman B6 or our hairline mics (BLF4 and DL3).

The selection of the transmitter/receiver systems is way more complex.  

You need something that

• will last a long while, - at this time that means it should be in the 500-600MHz range
    • it should be frequency agile so you can select your own channel to avoid interference
    • preferably you want something that will allow you to work with 12 to 20 systems simultaneously (you may only need a few at this stage, but this will change)
    • you want systems with removable antennas so you can add antenna distribution systems to reduce the number of antennas needed and even use directional antennas
    • systems should be rack montable - this means you can keep your receiver farm neat and tidy.
    • the major brands will give you far less hassles - Shure, Audio Technica, Sennheiser - but these start at around $400 per set and run to the price of a small car (well not quite, but up there)

Then the rest of your sound system has to work with whatever you get -

• does your mixer have enough inputs for the number of receivers you buy/have.  
    • are the speakers located/or locatable in the correct place to enable you to get enough volume from the mics without feedback
    • do you have someone who can control the sound system competently

I am not local - NJ - but even so if I can help in any way please feel free to contact me

------------------------------
    Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 3.  RE: Wireless Mics

Posted 11-05-2016 21:44

The data sheets for these two products can be downloaded here:

http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/1873/us_pro_wcb6_ug.pdf

http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/1894/us_pro_wl93_ug.pdf

The primary difference between the two will be the size of the capsule (mic element) and the low frequency response.  The size is negligible to the audience at 20-30', so this is fairly irrelevant; and the low frequency response is not much of an issue, either, as most of this range should be attenuated so you don't pick-up a lot of rumble and speech plosives.  Probably the biggest difference would be the distortion, but even that would be negligible through most PA systems (however, you might notice it in a recording made directly off of the mixer).

Sensitivity, self-noise, and maximum level before overload are all pretty much the same.

I say:  Go for it.  $78 sounds like a good deal (this price was found numerous places on the web, so it is probably a manufacturer's minimum advertised price).

Since the price is easily repeated, buy one and see if it works for you.  If it does, them buy more.  Or better yet, see if they have one you can test drive.

------------------------------
    Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems